Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you prepare for a surprise baby?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

DH and I have a 22 month old daughter. She was born 4 months before we moved 7 hours away from family. We're expecting again in May and have decided to be surprised about the gender of the baby.

I have no idea how to prepare.

We have plenty of things for a girl. A stroller isn't an issue (unless I decide after baby is here that I need a double stroller... but we're crossing that bridge when we get to it). A high chair isn't an issue. We want a bouncer and a swing, which we never had with DD, but other than that, we have big stuff covered, and it's all gender neutral. We're also good for crib bedding, though not receiving blankets or blankets in general. Same for socks, though a package of plain white socks for boys should take care of that.

But how do you prepare for clothes? What does a baby born in May in a very hot part of Southern CA really need? I want to be prepared for anything we'll need in the first three months since the only shopping in our small town is Walmart/Kmart, with anything bigger 2 hours away, and I just don't want to mess with it while I'm recovering and getting used to having a toddler and a newborn. We have some things from great thrift shop finds, but will we have enough?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Swtmama62205
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM

i would just get a lot of yellow and green onsizes.  my boys were born in june and thats all they wore for the first few months.  Onsizes and socks and those newborn hats

pregnancy calendar

Stay at home mommy to two little boys Noah who is 4 and Andrew who is 2! And a loving wife to my wonderful husband Ryan=)
dolphinhj
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Our first son we adopted and he was a total surprise:)  We got a call from MIL on a saturday asking if we wanted a baby, and we found a lawyer on Monday, flew out on Tuesday.  We knew it was a boy, but we found lots of green, yellows, neutral colors.

carter210
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:10 PM

We bought everything in green, yellow, white, brown. We also bought one thing pink and one thing blue.  

Lizzys_mommy13
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Buy a bunch of white and yellow onsies! If its hot, you'll most likely have the baby stripped down half the time anyways. If you go to babiesrus.com you can find a lot of neutral clothes. Once the baby is here, then you can throw in some colors. :) If you have a baby shower, request diapers and gift cards to help buy clothes after the baby is born. I got mostly neutral colors before my daughter was born because they weren't 100% sure she was a girl. She wouldn't give them a good look. lol

The greatest thing in the world is a child!

RaynesMommy07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I dnt think I could do it to be honest.  I could never find stuff that could fit for a boy and a girl.  So a surprise just wouldn't do it for me.  I'm a big shopper, and went to a lot of stores, and really I couldn't find much 'yellow'& "white' at all. 

natekenna
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:14 PM

My ds wouldn't cooperate with the ultrasound so he was a surprise. LOL. We prepared by doing his nursery moon and stars, my shower theme was moon and stars (twinkle twinkle little star how we wonder what you are), we bought alot of white, pale green, yellow, onesies, light sleepers (we had him in summer so ac was on constantly).

You can be prepared, just do neutral. Once I had him, my good friend went shopping and bought lots of little boy clothes! SO we had gender specific stuff.

monkeysmom21006
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I have no idea but where in SoCal do you live?

tyheamma
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Quoting monkeysmom21006:

I have no idea but where in SoCal do you live?

We live 45 minutes away from Death Valley, the supposed hottest part of the country. We hit 114 several times last July.

I suppose my other difficulty is that we really don't want to do the all gender neutral... because it's overkill if we have a girl. We are also not going to pay department store prices for every piece of clothing... we are on far too tight of a budget for that.

Christy78
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I did not find out I was having with my first baby and I got alot of yelloews and greens . One pink outfit and one blue outfit.

SamiJ18
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:32 PM

You could do a jungle theme and keep your nursery yellow and green.  They make plenty of yellow, orange, green and white clothes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)