Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wisdom Teeth.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:07 PM
  • 17 Replies

Fiance is getting all 4 of his wisdom teeth out tomorrow and is being put under for it. He's so scared of the pain, and I'm not sure what happens after, how bad he'll hurt, I would imagine pretty bad!

Anything he should know from others that have gotten their wisdom teeth pulled out?

Lilypie - (fdil)

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oboe_chik
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM

IDK It just sucks. I got dry sockets and I was miserable. I got it done while I was in college with a newborn and it was the worst. I would wake up long enough for my DH to give me another pain pill and drink a chocolate milkshake and go back to sleep.

mama2conor
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Just that being put under is a good idea.  But it was 1990 when I had mine taken out so I don't remember much about it, sorry.

Wistful
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I was awake about 8 years ago when I had mine taken out (2 were impacted the other 2 were not). He is lucky he will be put under. I had a horrible experience.
As far as the pain afterwards, I was out of work for 3 days (including the day the procedure was done) and was back at work waiting tables on day 4.
Plenty of rest, pain pills and take the proper precautions so he doesn't get dry sockets (I got those and they are VERY painful).

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Krysta622
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM
Follow the aftercare instructions. They'll probably give him something like Vicodin and Motrin for the pain, and an antibiotic to prevent infection. MAKE him take all of the antibiotics, and MAKE HIM take the pain medication as soon as you get home, so it kicks in before the IV drugs and novacaine or marcaine completely wear off. Ice. 20 min on one side, then 20 on the other. I had all 4 at once, and stayed in bed the next day, and the day after that I was still in some pain, but it wasn't that bad. My DH just had one removed the other day, and went out that night. So I think all at once is a little harder recovery, but I think it's better because you get it all over with in one shot. I would NOT have done it any other way. Jello, pastina, pudding, maybe soup are good things to eat. Don't drink from a straw for a few days and if he's a smoker, it's best not to smoke for a few days after extraction too.

judybant
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I had all of mine pulled at the same time, but was not put under, just novacaine, but I felt fine afterwards... little achey in the jaw, from the dentist crankin' on it...

Just make sure that he does NOT use straws, or smoke afterwards, (if he smokes, that is). The reason for this is because the sucking action can suck the clot out of the socket that's left after the surgery, and then you get a dry socket, and THAT is one painful, painful issue to deal with.

The worst part for him will be the after effects of being put to sleep. My son got very nauseated, and threw up several times as the sedation wore off. Unfortunately, one of those times was in my car on the way home... GROSS! Soft foods, broth, etc... they'll give him the whole rundown on what he can and can't eat... etc...  

Jaclynx3
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I was scared to even get it done.  the whole procedure doesnt hurt as you are numb and for a few hours after.  I stayed on pain pills and slept alot.  mine were really deep so it took more work for the surgeon.  not sure if that made them more sore for  awhile or not.  my kids came home day 2 so that was rough!!  (my dad had them for the first day which helped a ton as I had nothing to worry about)

I hate chicken noodle soup and jello!!

Susanjdv861
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:19 PM

ya i had mine done about 17 yrs ago when i was 13. so i don't remember much. but it was pretty painful. but at least i was asleep thru all of it. and it took me quite a few weeks to be able to eat regular food again. i was eating applesauce and yogurt for the longest time. it really  not that bad though. most people i know fully recover w/ in a week or so. it took longer for me cuz i was really young when i had mine done. they were still under the skin and it was harder for them to get them out. and my face swelled up really bad. i was out of school for a whole week. but it should be easier for him.

Jaclynx3
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:20 PM

RIGHT   ice helps a lot  but they said  not after the first 12 hours or something.  I ignored that because I was still in pain and the ice felt great.  Well the ice keeps the pain meds from flowing through that area --so listen on the ice part!

Quoting Krysta622:

Follow the aftercare instructions. They'll probably give him something like Vicodin and Motrin for the pain, and an antibiotic to prevent infection. MAKE him take all of the antibiotics, and MAKE HIM take the pain medication as soon as you get home, so it kicks in before the IV drugs and novacaine or marcaine completely wear off. Ice. 20 min on one side, then 20 on the other. I had all 4 at once, and stayed in bed the next day, and the day after that I was still in some pain, but it wasn't that bad. My DH just had one removed the other day, and went out that night. So I think all at once is a little harder recovery, but I think it's better because you get it all over with in one shot. I would NOT have done it any other way. Jello, pastina, pudding, maybe soup are good things to eat. Don't drink from a straw for a few days and if he's a smoker, it's best not to smoke for a few days after extraction too.

BekaBug
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:24 PM

oh my gosh! reading this has made me even more nervous. 8 ) mine just started coming in.. i cant take the pain any more so dh is making me an appt to have them taken out tmrw. =/ its sounds worse than i thought. wish him luck for me. hope his procedure goes well. 8 )

i'm a book reading, thrill seeking, always traveling, can't sit still, stuck in my ways,  pierced and tattooed, co- sleeping, vaccinating, breast feeding, army wife., and mommy to a little girl. who's madly in love with my husband and absolutely loves being a stay at home mommy kind of woman.

Vsoul0608
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I had all 4 of mine surgically removed last year and I was also put under.  When I woke up I didnt feel any pain right away because I was still numb from the novacaine.  I was very disorianted (sp?) tho.  My mom had to help  me to the bathroom and drive me home and so on.  I couldnt see straight for about an hour.  By the time I got home I was able to walk right but my novacaine was wearing off and the pain was kicking in (they did give me antibiotics to take to keep me from getting an infection and vicodin for the pain).  I was SOO freaking hungry but I couldnt eat anything cause my mouth hurt.  I lived on fruit cut into TINY peices, jello, mashed potatoes, pudding and propel water (not allowed soda or anything carbonated for the 1st week) The dentist should give you a paper of what you can eat and what  you should steer clear of...for instance no chips or anything crumbly cause peices could get stuck in your sockets, nothing spicy and so on.  The pain was worse in the morning when I first woke up for the first few days...After about day 5 I was feeling alot better but it took about 2 weeks before I felt NORMAL again.  For the 1st 3-4 days I couldnt open my mouth far enough to even get my toothbrush in it because it hurt so bad....its one of those things that make you think....god I would do ANYTHING to just get back to normal! 

Tell your hubby not to worry though....even tho my story sounded a little horrid...its not that bad and afterwards your glad they are out (atleast I was cause mine were coming in under my other teeth and messin everything up) Good Luck to him!

Quoting trishasjunebug:

Fiance is getting all 4 of his wisdom teeth out tomorrow and is being put under for it. He's so scared of the pain, and I'm not sure what happens after, how bad he'll hurt, I would imagine pretty bad!

Anything he should know from others that have gotten their wisdom teeth pulled out?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)