Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I invited a mom and her family from preschool over for dinner on Friday...I want to IMPRESS them! I need some super yummy recipes!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM
  • 17 Replies

If you have a really yummy recipe that might be good for a small dinner party I'd appreciate it :) I want to impress them!

Thanks mamas!

eating

Erin- A stay at home mom currently in online college working towards becoming an elementary school teacher. I'm a simple kind of mommy living a simple kind of life- Raising my family the way that works for me.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy1008
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM

bump! 

kaitlynsmom1230
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I made my own version of "chicken parmesan" the other night and it turned out great!!

I lined the bottom of a 13X9 inch baking pan with cooked chicken tenders. 

I made a sauce from a can of diced tomatoes and a packet of spaghetti seasoning mix and about 1/2 cup water.

I topped the chicken with the sauce and mozzarella and cheddar cheese.

I baked for about 15 minutes to get the sauce heated and cheese melted.

Serve with garlic bread and salad and you're good to go!

MzSeXyC
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

win em over with hot dogs and mac n cheese! lol.

bump. i dont know any good recipes. id like to get some though. :) 

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:43 PM

chicken and orzo (works great with fish too) -

cut an orange (or lemon) in half and squeeze some juice onto a baking pan, sprinkle any seasonings and herbs you want on the juice.  Put the chicken on the pan and top with juice and seasonings.  Bake at 350 until done.  Bring salted water to a boil and cook orzo.  Drain and pour into a large bowl add a couple tbs of butter and some of the same seasonings you put on the chicken.  Sautee a small onion and bell pepper - both finely chopped, when just about done and a can or bag of corn.  Pour it all into the orzo and mix.  When the chicken is done serve it on a bed or orzo :)

And my new fave recipe ----

Pork and egg noodles -

Cook egg noodles.  Salt and pepper pork and put in skillet on med-high cook about 5 mins on each side then remove.  Add 2 tbs oil to the same pan and add mushrooms and thinly sliced onion and sautee.  Once soft add a can of cream of mushroom soup, a splash of soy sauce, and 1/2 can of water and wisk until smooth.  Add pork back to the pan and cover, let simmer until pork is cooked through.  Once pork is done remove it again and add 1 cup of sour cream to the mushroom sauce and wisk until smooth.  Put a pork chop on a bed of egg noodles and cover in sauce.  SOOO GOOD!

kyco363
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Whenever my Dh and I have another couple over for dinner, this is usually what we do (we love cooking together, so we usually go all out):

- We start off with stuffed mushrooms, my Dh stuffs smaller Portabellas with sausage, garlic, cream cheese, spinach and Gruyere. Then he tops it with chopped fresh herbs and bread crumbs and bakes it in a shallow pan with a little white wine and chicken broth in the bottom. They are amzing, and easy!

- For dinner we usually make some kind of seafood and steak. For seafood one of our favorites is wrapping Prosciutto around prawns or scallops with a bay leaf tucked into it (bake it or cook it in olive oil). And then for steak my DH usually makes a wine reduction sauce with melted blue cheese and pureed green onions to top of it - makes for good presentation without costing a whole lotta money.  Then we just serve it with homemade bread and a salad. If I am feeling up to it, sometimes I will make French onion soup (but that takes a lot of work).

- If Artichoke's are in season, those are usually big hit too.

Anyways, most of the stuff I mentioned can be made ahead of time and all of it pairs well with good wine, if that's what your into. Also, we usually make gourmet mac n' cheese and root beer floats for the kids.

GOOD LUCK!

Life is like photography, you need the negative to develop.

motherbee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:50 PM

What about chicken cordon bleu? is super easy and cheap but nice enough to serve for company.Heres the recipe: bonless skinless chicken breasts, ham, swiss cheese and butter.All you have to do is take plastic wrap and put your chicken in the middle and use a meat mallet to make it into a rectangle 1/8 inch thick. Then you put the ham and cheese in the middle, fold in the ottom and the sides, and secure it with toothpicks. Then in a skillet melt the butter and cook the chicken rols for about 20 minutes or until they aren't pink.Since you have kids to feed this is good for the kids and adults because most kids and adults like these ingredients

You whould just need a salad,veggies and some bread.

kyco363
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I made this for my Dh and DS the other day. they loved it! Minus the Serrano plus pine nuts... the Clementines are in season, and it made for a beautiful dish. All the colors were great, it tasted good, it was inexpensive and I made most of it ahead of time! I served it with Couscous and bread. It is both adult and kid friendly in my opinion.

Chicken Paillards with Clementine salsa recipe at Epicurius.com ----> just google this, I couldn't get the URL to copy and paste for some reason.

Life is like photography, you need the negative to develop.

waites6
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:50 PM

i just came fro H-E-B and in the cooking section by the meats and cheese and they had a spinach salad with a watermelon vingrette and it was really good my 3 yr old said it was candy so i bought all kinds of stuff to use with the watermelon vingrette or use it as a dipping sauce cause it was really good, heres another zucchini pinwheels with ham cook the zucchini in boiling water for a minute then drain and quickly transfer into a bowl of ice water cut all into lengthwise stripes of 1/4 inch thick then sprinkle with dill,salt and pepper, roll them up and put tooth picks to keep them togther serves 4 and if make the pinwheels let me know how they come out cause i want to try them and havent got a chance but like i said the vingrette was very good have fun. from your pampered chef consultant susan

NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Thanks ladies! The portobella stuffed mushroom sound yummy!!

Erin- A stay at home mom currently in online college working towards becoming an elementary school teacher. I'm a simple kind of mommy living a simple kind of life- Raising my family the way that works for me.

Mami2Zoe
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:14 PM

what about chili,chicken and dumplins or beef stew. Easy and great for the winter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)