Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How is this fair?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM
  • 13 Replies

My cousin is on PA.  All of her 4 children are on medicaid and have been since birth.  One is 11.  The kids have 3 different dads and they were all planned, and were born very early and spent months in the NICU and cost tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars and neither her or any of the dads are responsible to pay a dime of it back.  She only worked three months last year and paid minimal taxes.  She got her taxes done and because of Earned income credit she is getting $6,000 back.  How is that even fair to families that are struggling to work and pay a killing in taxes that don't get a dime back.  Our tax money pays for her and all of her kids, she doesn't have to work anymore, and now our tax money pays while she gets to have a shopping spree.  How about they take some of that Earned Income Credit and pay back the PA system that she has been drawing from for 11 years and why not take the baby daddy's tax returns to pay back for the kids they chose to have.  This is so irritating to me.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
savannahnhi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:37 PM

how much you want to bet someone will tell you to mind your own business.

mother3boys1gir
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM

i do however agree with you. things really need to change

MamaBloom777
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I agree with you...its frustrating.  I stayed home with DS in 2008 and the beginning of 2009.  DH is self employed, but only made enough for us to live off of while I was not working (therefore, we couldn't pay estimated taxes throughout the year).  Come to filing 2008 taxes......we owe the IRS over $6,000!!!  Oh yeah, let me write you a check!  I'm rolling in it, right?

So, I agree with you 100% that things in life aren't fair.  But I try to look at it like this....if I have to work this hard in this life, the afterlife will be marvelous!!! 

Swtmama62205
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:41 PM

ugh thats gross....i completely agree with you

pregnancy calendar

Stay at home mommy to two little boys Noah who is 4 and Andrew who is 2! And a loving wife to my wonderful husband Ryan=)
Mama2JoshKatie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Mind your own business

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM

how much does people get back for kids/dependents? honest question.. cuz for me-- i worked part time in 07 from Feb until about Sept and I only got back about $200. grr. my dad filed for me though- not really sure how he did it, but he claimed me and DS.. but the checks were in my name..? weird.

i will never understand taxes :0(

wearing crown                  backpack
                                         Boo-Boo 
                                      10/15/2005
21 year old single mom of a 4 year old boy. Not sure exactly what kind of mom I am, but I get a chance to better myself everyday. My biggest goal for 2010 is to break out of my shell.

~~~ I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

CAarmywife
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM

ya thats disgusting and just shows things need to be done to combat that, possibly lessons in not being a leach, i dont know

aretheyallmine
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

Mind your own business

The problem is, it is my business.  It is my hard earned tax money going to pay for all of this crap to happen.

aretheyallmine
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Quoting Shy_Dia:

how much does people get back for kids/dependents? honest question.. cuz for me-- i worked part time in 07 from Feb until about Sept and I only got back about $200. grr. my dad filed for me though- not really sure how he did it, but he claimed me and DS.. but the checks were in my name..? weird.

You should have filed for yourself.  You would have gotten  more back.  EIC is quite a bit.  People that work hard deserve it.

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Quoting aretheyallmine:

Quoting Shy_Dia:

You should have filed for yourself.  You would have gotten  more back.  EIC is quite a bit.  People that work hard deserve it.

see- i dont understand things like that! EIC/HOH or whatever and all that- it goes over my head. i didnt work in 09 at all (which is really shocking for me, but i was in school the entire year) so maybe next year, i can file for myself.. i just felt that it was the better decision, letting dad claim us since he helps support us.

wearing crown                  backpack
                                         Boo-Boo 
                                      10/15/2005
21 year old single mom of a 4 year old boy. Not sure exactly what kind of mom I am, but I get a chance to better myself everyday. My biggest goal for 2010 is to break out of my shell.

~~~ I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)