Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So confused and worried...I need some help Mamas.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM
  • 20 Replies

My DD is currently sitting in a high back booster with a 5 point harness while riding in the car.  I went and bought her a regular booster with the back on it but have not put it in the car yet because i am a little worried.

My DD is 3, weighs 44 lbs and 42.5 inches tall.

The carseat she is in with the 5 pt harness says it is for 22-40 pounds and 34-43 inches. So she exceeds the weigh limit and is a half inch away from the height limit. The manual says once they exceed the weight and height limit to take the 5 pt harness out and use it as a regular booster. (I hate the seat cover on this seat...its hard to clean so thats why I bought a regular booster instead of using this one)

Now...the booster I bought with the back...no 5 pt harness its one that just uses the seat belt says its for 3-10 years old, 30-100 pounds and 38-57 inches tall.  So she fits inside the limits on all of requirements on this seat. 

The reason I am confused is because I have read so much about Extended Harnessing...but what I need to know is it safe to extended harness if they exceed the limits on the seat? Or is it only safe if they fit inside those requirements? I have done  A LOT of research on carseats and can't find one with a 5 pt harness that is for over 40 lbs. and over 43 Inches.  Is there one out there?

I dont know if I should move her into the new seat or leave her in the 5 pt harness even tho shes technically too big?  What do you think?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amayabrianna
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM

It is safer to put her in a properly fitting set than any other. If she exceeds the weight and/or height limit it is not safe. Do you want to keep her EH? The maestro will harness to 50 lbs and booster to 100. Height is important when it comes to torso height not overall height. What is her torso height? 

__Pro_Choice_is_NOT______stamp_by_T.gif Pro Choice not Pro Abortion image by croatoan5376ifyoucant30.jpg pro choice image by karmaschaos3756f1d9.jpg menstruation is murder! image by karmaschaosPro-choice.gif Pro choice image by Treehugger30

thextended-rear-facing.gif image by MommabunchCopyofFinalcarseatblinkie.gif image by Mommabunch

Vsoul0608
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Im not sure of her torso height but when I was putting the new booster together the manual said that the bottom of the head rest (it has the adjustable back so it grows with your child) has to be level with the top of the childs shoulders.  So I had her sit in it with the head rest all the way down and she was too tall...I had to move it up to level 2 (there are 4 levels) before it was level with her shoulders. 

Quoting Vsoul0608:

My DD is currently sitting in a high back booster with a 5 point harness while riding in the car.  I went and bought her a regular booster with the back on it but have not put it in the car yet because i am a little worried.

The carseat she is in with the 5 pt harness says it is for 22-40 pounds and 34-43 inches. So she exceeds the weigh limit and is a half inch away from the height limit. The manual says once they exceed the weight and height limit to take the 5 pt harness out and use it as a regular booster. (I hate the seat cover on this seat...its hard to clean so thats why I bought a regular booster instead of using this one)

Now...the booster I bought with the back...no 5 pt harness its one that just uses the seat belt says its for 3-10 years old, 30-100 pounds and 38-57 inches tall.  So she fits inside the limits on all of requirements on this seat. 

The reason I am confused is because I have read so much about Extended Harnessing...but what I need to know is it safe to extended harness if they exceed the limits on the seat? Or is it only safe if they fit inside those requirements? I have done  A LOT of research on carseats and can't find one with a 5 pt harness that is for over 40 lbs. and over 43 Inches.  Is there one out there?

I dont know if I should move her into the new seat or leave her in the 5 pt harness even tho shes technically too big?  What do you think?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:16 PM

If your child has exceeded the weight limit of her seat, she needs to be out of the harness immediately.  :(

Extended harnessing is a wonderful thing, but it must be done in a seat that allows for it with higher weight limits than the seat you currently have.

Your daughter is really young to be in a booster, b/c booster use depends on both maturity to remain in proper positon at all time (not something you can rely on a 3 year old to do) as well as bone ossification (which you can't hurry up with either!).  The bare miniimum is 4 years and 40 lbs, but experts say age 6 is really ideal.

Ideally, she should be in a harness and there a lot of seats these days that allow for extended harnesing.  What is your budget?  Can you still return the booster seat you bought?

For right NOW, if you need to go somewhere, she will need to ride in a booster.  One thing that can help is that if you have lap/shoulder belts that lock by pulling it all the way out, you can actually lock the seat when she is in it, so it is not as easy to wiggle.  You will also have to talk to her about staying in position.

Some seats to consider at the Evenflo Maestro, Evenflo Generations 65, Safety 1st Apex, Graco Nautilu or the Britax Frontier.  Those seats range from $70 - 300 or so - so if you let me know your budget, I can help you try to find the best seat in your price range.  :)

Quoting Vsoul0608:

Im not sure of her torso height but when I was putting the new booster together the manual said that the bottom of the head rest (it has the adjustable back so it grows with your child) has to be level with the top of the childs shoulders.  So I had her sit in it with the head rest all the way down and she was too tall...I had to move it up to level 2 (there are 4 levels) before it was level with her shoulders. 

Quoting Vsoul0608:

cypris420
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:25 PM

My daughter is four, and we recently purchased a Radian80 for her.  I don't think she's anywhere near ready for a non-harnessed carseat/booster and I did a lot of research on the products out there.  I absolutely love this one, and she does too.  It was expensive, but we'll get a bunch more years out of it.  Here's the link: http://www.babyviva.com/product/car-seats/5494/sunshine-kids-radian80sl-convertible-car-seat.html

tabi_cat1023
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM

OK she is too big for THAT harness, so the booster you bought will be safer for her til you can get a seat that harnesses higher.

I recommend for her the Graco Nautilus or the Britax Frontier.

Normally I would also say the Maestro but it only harnesses til 50lbs and she is already close to that.  Generations 65 MAY work BUT its not real tall.

Walmart, target and babies r us carry the Graco Nautilus..even online have them in AWESOME girlie colors or neutrals.

I own 2 of them...GREAT seats.

Harness to 65lbs, then booster to 100lbs

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/183-0478936-4342714?ASIN=B001OB6J9K&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B001OB6J9K|Graco_Nautilus_3-in-1_Car_Seat_-_Rachel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B001OB6J9K&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

http://www.walmart.com/Graco-Nautilus-Pink-Daisy-Seat/ip/10856433

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3190397&CAWELAID=234104239

check out my siggy to see my boys in them

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I totally agree Tabi - i just hope those seats are in her budget!

Safety first Apex wouldn't be bad if mom has high headrests - does Big Lots still have them for $80?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

OK she is too big for THAT harness, so the booster you bought will be safer for her til you can get a seat that harnesses higher.

I recommend for her the Graco Nautilus or the Britax Frontier.

Normally I would also say the Maestro but it only harnesses til 50lbs and she is already close to that.  Generations 65 MAY work BUT its not real tall.

Walmart, target and babies r us carry the Graco Nautilus..even online have them in AWESOME girlie colors or neutrals.

I own 2 of them...GREAT seats.

Harness to 65lbs, then booster to 100lbs

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/183-0478936-4342714?ASIN=B001OB6J9K&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B001OB6J9K|Graco_Nautilus_3-in-1_Car_Seat_-_Rachel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B001OB6J9K&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

http://www.walmart.com/Graco-Nautilus-Pink-Daisy-Seat/ip/10856433

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3190397&CAWELAID=234104239

check out my siggy to see my boys in them

KristenFowles
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Get a Brittax 5 point harness - It will hold her up to 80lbs.

tabi_cat1023
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Quoting KristenFowles:

Get a Brittax 5 point harness - It will hold her up to 80lbs.

NOt all Britax harness to 80lbs..just the Frontier and regent

KokoJones
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:06 PM

my dd who will be five this june is in a high backed booster that just uses the seat belt, however we bought the evenflo triumph advance which seats up to 100 lbs i believe and it fits her just like a dream, in fact we have put her in it and have contemplated getting another for her... i am not sure how tall she is now but she is 45 lbs **shrugs** i say if you want to still have your dd in a harness look into a harnessed seat that will fit her properly **hugs**

CafeMom Tickers

Koko- navy wife-mommy of two- currently baking baby #3

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:08 PM

The Evenflo Triumph Advance actually goes to 50 lbs for ff.

It is a great seat - but not 100 lb ff limit great!  LOL!  :)

Quoting KokoJones:

my dd who will be five this june is in a high backed booster that just uses the seat belt, however we bought the evenflo triumph advance which seats up to 100 lbs i believe and it fits her just like a dream, in fact we have put her in it and have contemplated getting another for her... i am not sure how tall she is now but she is 45 lbs **shrugs** i say if you want to still have your dd in a harness look into a harnessed seat that will fit her properly **hugs**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)