Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

indoor activities with toddlers

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

i was wondering what kind of indoor activities do you ladies do with your toddlers... the weather is awful and we cant play outside and I'm getting cabin fever... what kind of things do you do that aren't expensive?

my son is 14months

thanks

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Se7enTh1rt3en
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:19 PM

My boys are 2 and 3, so we play games like Chutes and Ladders, Candyland, Handy Manny Picture Find (a twist on memory), and Add a Bug.  They're all educational board games that my kids LOVE to play.  We also paint and color, build "forts" in the living room, watch movies or Nick Jr.  My oldest child is getting into video games - his time is limited, though, and is only on a reward basis (i.e. we're potty training him, so no accidents = 1 hr video games).

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM

bubbles, paints(since your little guy is young use yougurt with food coloring), play dough(homemade if he will eat it, min e alweays did), get an esle and let him make art, forts, blocks, those giant legos, those little boxes that you put the shapes in. Those fat cryons(my kids also ate).

Monica208
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM

my son eats paper and crayons... so i cant play games with him yet or color... trust me im dying for when we can do that... I LOVE TO COLOR lol...  so for now  we need to stay away from anything that he can eat lol

Quoting Se7enTh1rt3en:

My boys are 2 and 3, so we play games like Chutes and Ladders, Candyland, Handy Manny Picture Find (a twist on memory), and Add a Bug.  They're all educational board games that my kids LOVE to play.  We also paint and color, build "forts" in the living room, watch movies or Nick Jr.  My oldest child is getting into video games - his time is limited, though, and is only on a reward basis (i.e. we're potty training him, so no accidents = 1 hr video games).

Monica208
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:37 PM

great ideas... i never thought of paint out of yogurt...  thanks

Quoting misssy2000:

bubbles, paints(since your little guy is young use yougurt with food coloring), play dough(homemade if he will eat it, min e alweays did), get an esle and let him make art, forts, blocks, those giant legos, those little boxes that you put the shapes in. Those fat cryons(my kids also ate).

Jessymessy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM

get some bean bags and put tape on the floor and let them try to throw the bean bags to the tape spots, also inside golf with rolled up newspaper for clubs and balls. my daughter loved these because they were outdoor activities that we were able to bring inside by using things that wouldn't damage my house! there is a book at borders that has all sorts of fun indoor toddler activities in it, i would just ask someone there, at my borders i just said: toddler indoor activity book and the guy knew what i was asking for

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:47 PM

We made "bridges" with all the cushions from the couch and love seat. (spreading them in a line across the floor) We'd count them, and make other shapes with them (square, rectangle, circle, triangle)

Sing songs and do or make up dances for them! Itsy Bitsy Spider, The wheels on the bus, Freeze Dance ( where you freeze when the music stops),

Use large pots and thier lids, and wooden spoons as drums and symbols, whistle, and if you have a keyboard, you have a "band" to play music.

You can arrange the cushions and sit on them as a "boat" for row row row your boat.

construction paper, photos, and a glue stick make an easy "who loves me" book

hide and seek

use gift boxes (like the clothing ones from christmas) shoe boxes, other boxes as large building blocks to make a fort.

A large empty box can be ANYTHING and will provide HOURS of fun! And you can "decorate" it with crayons --- great for learning colors

you can give pony rides on your back

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

or pudding or anything else they can eat. At one of my moms meet ups they used gramcrackers as the paint brushes and the kids make art on paper and then ate it. lol

Quoting Monica208:

great ideas... i never thought of paint out of yogurt...  thanks

Quoting misssy2000:

jokermom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Funny that you ask, today we were bored so we made our own band out of household items......we had a blast and the kiddos still are :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)