Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

education question

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:18 PM
  • 4 Replies

im a navy wife,stay at home mama of 2 small girls (4 n 1 yrs old). i wanna know from u mamas that went to school while being a stay at home mama. i want to go into online classes or maybe campus, im not sure yet. if u did campus classes, how did u get it done with kids?? or online class taken mamas, what school did u go through n did it work out??i hear u dnt get far with online classes as u would on campus classes. i wanna get my education on. but im afraid i wnt be able to do it with 2 small kids. bc we cant afford day care at all. n my mom lives n hour away. the commute will be expensive for either of us. n my husband will b either gone or working all day. any advise ladies?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MamaBloom777
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I would research online classes (sounds like it'll be your best option).  The longer online classes are out, the more credible they seem to be...so I wouldn't worry about that too much.  A degree is a degree, you know? 

Or maybe there are some schools that offer free daycare if you're trying to be a teacher.  Maybe check & see.

Good luck!  I think its great you want to go back to school!!!

ronandamy1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I got my bachelors degree on campus and my masters online. They are two very different ways of learning. I found doing it online, I really had to depend on my writing skills, since everything is written lol. Online you really have to manage your time and make sure you follow the timelines. Going to class was easier for me because it was structured. There are a ton of really good universities offering online degrees. Do some research in the area you want your degree to be in and make sure the school is accredited .

CAarmywife
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:23 PM

is there a college near u that u could take online classes through? i know my college offered them

bluesky51201
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I've done both.  I got my associates online and I'm working on my bachelors at a ground campus.  I went through UOP (don't do it) for online and it was a waste.  All I did was answer a common sense discussion question twice a week and rewrite my textbook once a week for a 1050 word paper.  I have two children and it's hard sometimes but it's doable.  My classes start right when my DH gets off work but sometimes he can leave a couple of minutes early.  I talked to my professor at the beginning of the quarter and told him I would be late sometimes and he's totally fine with it.  They cater to military members and family members so they know what it's like sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)