Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 car seats, 5 passenger Subaru, can it be done?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:44 PM
  • 21 Replies

We are expecting baby #2 and have my SS 12 days a month.  SS is in a booster, DD a Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 convertible, new baby will hopefully be in a Britax Marathon, we have a 2000 Subaru Outback.  Can I fit all these carseats in the back of that car? Or am I delusional and just need to go buy a van?  Do I need to look into a different carseat for new baby?  Has anybody else been in this situation?   Help!!!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2Kaelen
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I know that the marathon is a big seat and it also will not fit a newborn.  It says 5 pounds but the harness sits way to high for a newborn.   I know that the true fit premiere has been recommended for a newborn and the SKR fits newborns and is also really narrow so it's better for fitting 3 across but on the flip side is a pain to install.   Hopefully a tch will come along and help more.

macysmama1206
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Oh darn,  I was really excited about the marathon because I thought it would take us the whole way through carseats.  I will check out the other ones, thanks!

Quoting Mommy2Kaelen:

I know that the marathon is a big seat and it also will not fit a newborn.  It says 5 pounds but the harness sits way to high for a newborn.   I know that the true fit premiere has been recommended for a newborn and the SKR fits newborns and is also really narrow so it's better for fitting 3 across but on the flip side is a pain to install.   Hopefully a tch will come along and help more.

jcsmummy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM

britax seats are really wide, it might not fit. also the marathon is not really a good fit for a newborn. i would reccomend a sunshine kids radian 80, it's about $270, but it's the only carseat you will ever need and is only 17 inches wide so it will fit in between 2 seats in most vehicles.

kelleygirl76
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Honestly, I had a britax and they really don't seem worth the money.  We have a graco nautilus now.  Some ppl will disagree with me.  But it's JMHO.  I say research!  The Britax do tend to be larger and if you're gonna try to fit three seats on one bench I recommend looking for something more narrow.  There is a web page that shows the best seats for your make and model car.  Lemme see if I can find it for you!

macysmama1206
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely look at it!  I just really don't want to buy a new car.  I love love love my subaru and we are trying really hard to get our finances in order, going out and buying a new car just isn't a reasonable thing to do right now!

Quoting jcsmummy:

britax seats are really wide, it might not fit. also the marathon is not really a good fit for a newborn. i would reccomend a sunshine kids radian 80, it's about $270, but it's the only carseat you will ever need and is only 17 inches wide so it will fit in between 2 seats in most vehicles.

kelleygirl76
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM

http://www.carseatdata.org/

macysmama1206
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM

That would be great, I tried googling but didn't come up with much!

Quoting kelleygirl76:

Honestly, I had a britax and they really don't seem worth the money.  We have a graco nautilus now.  Some ppl will disagree with me.  But it's JMHO.  I say research!  The Britax do tend to be larger and if you're gonna try to fit three seats on one bench I recommend looking for something more narrow.  There is a web page that shows the best seats for your make and model car.  Lemme see if I can find it for you!

ATM1991
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM

While it is possible to get 3 carseats in the back seat Id suggest looking for a car seat thats not quite as wide for the new baby. A van isn't neccessary but the car seat you have picked out is too wide to fit with a second car seat and a booster seat.

I'm a Life LOViN' 18 year old bisexual first time mommy to cayden I vaccinate and bottle feed, and never co-sleep. I let my son CIO...But who cares? We all have diffrent parenting styles.I'm a 110% pro-life, dont give a shit what you think, fast-food junkie, online college course taking type of mommy =) I am no longer with my baby's father but I am engaged to the love of my life. I graduated high School class of 2009, am working on getting my degree in Early Childhood Education and I'm on the way to break the teen mommy stereotype. I DONT regret any decisions I have made in my life and honestly, I WOULDNT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Like the others have said, the Marathon is a great seat, but will not fit an infant.

One seat you may REALLLLLLLY want to look at is the SKJP Radian.  It DOES fit infants well and is famous for being the 'thinnest" seat out there, so it tends to work well for 3 across situations.

The usual car seat gurus aren't around right now, but i'm sure more will chime in  -  just keep this bumped.

Mommy_of_LttlD
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Do you have another vehicle like a truck with back seats?  Trucks are wider and we have no problem fitting 3 wide.  That being said, I have a Pontiac G6 and I have fit a Evenflo Triumph Advance ( rahter wide seat), graco snugride, and a Costco Scenera in my back seat.  Maybe you can borrow a seat from someone to see if you can fit 3 wide.  My SIL fits 2 alpha omega elites and a high back boster in her Toyota camry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)