Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I thicken a soup?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM
  • 15 Replies

I made a soup in my crock pot the other day and it was just waaay too watery. DF isnt a picky eater, but he is when it comes to soup. I cant eat an entire crockpot full by myself.

How do I thicken it?

Im, Laura. I hope you learned that from my screen name. If not, well now you know. I live in Alaska. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a Snow Ninja. Although, my day job consists of standing outside in front of my igloo looking like Igloo Trash in my snow boots, seal skin tank top & short skirt and screaming profanities at my neighbors. I'm marvelous, I know. I have a daughter named Lorelai. I can only hope one day she is just like mommy. Her daddy is Chris and together we make one big family of Igloo trash. Be Jealous.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Can you put some flour in it?  That usually works.  Plus it seems like things are a little thicker when they are leftovers.

mitch576
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:52 PM

what kind of soup?

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

Just_Bethy

I am NOT a cook....but I THINK..If I remember rightly...you get a little cold water..add corn flour to it mix well then add to the soup...Anyone else??? Is this right??? 

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

wells75904

Instant potatoes will thicken it too

Need Help Saving Money? Check out 

Frugal and Thrifty Moms-This group is a place to come to get recipes, advice, to chat, have fun, let your hair down and talk about cooking, recipes, budgeting, menu planning, and all things related to making our households run more smoothly.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugal_And_Thrifty_Moms

Sparkey6987
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Make a rue. Take equal parts of the broth and flour...like 4 tsp and 4 tsp or whatever, mix them over heat, and when it turns into a sort of paste, put it back in the soup and heat and stir until it dissolves. 

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Corn starch works well for gravys. Jsut create a mixture or part water part cornstarch and add to the soup it will thicken.

MissKrystal
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:55 PM

2tbls water 1 tbls corn starch in a resealable jar of some kind-mix together and add to the soup...let simmer for about 5-10 min..if it is still not as thick as you'd like, repeat until it is! Same method for gravies etc...Good Luck!

Laura4807
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM

so its thickened like gravy is made.

DUH. Why didnt I think of that!? lol

Thank you ladies :-)

brandi185
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM

instant potatoes, flour and half and half are the only three i can think of.  if you can find wandra (in a blue round carton thing) it is much better then flour, it's made for thickening gravy.

pearlmom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM

flour ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)