Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Were your children "born" into a religion?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:09 PM
  • 45 Replies

So it seems to be the topic of the day, and Im gonna ask a question that Ive always wondered.

Have you raised your children to believe in one thing and only one thing since they were born? If so, how is it that they truly BELIEVE and arent just being brainwashed? If you teach them that something is true and give them no other option, doesnt that kind of rule out FAITH in itself?

BTW, I was raised as a Christian and I have wondered this since I was very young.

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mitch576
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

they are baptised.. two as catholics and one as a nondenominational christian.. to prove a point.

after that... they are taught to respect all life... all things have a right to live.

i don't get into "god" with them. they are exposed to many different faiths and belief systems...

what they choose when they are older is up to them.. they will be supported either way/

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM

My children are being raised Roman Catholic because that is what I believe.  As soon as they are capable of financially supporting themselves they can pick for themselves.  So technically, yes, they were born into it.

allyson2212
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My children are being raised Roman Catholic because that is what I believe.  As soon as they are capable of financially supporting themselves they can pick for themselves.  So technically, yes, they were born into it.

So they arent "allowed" to have any other beliefs until they move out??

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.

piercedbeauty21
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I wasn't brought up in a religion. Our parents taught us the Golden Rule and that's what we went by. I would like to teach my DD about that and Karma. I don't want her feel that 1 religion is better over another, so I rather her treat everybody as an equal and show respect towards others. If she wants to explore religion when she's older, I'll support her 100%.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Susanjdv861
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM

i am agnostic and my husband is atheist. so no our children aren't being raised on any particular religion. we strongly believe there is no right or wrong religion and choosing a religion is a very personal choice. we don't think its right to choose a religion for our children. so we are leaving that choice up to them. i was raised as a christian though and my husband was raised as a catholic. so our children will be exposed to both religions growing up as our families are very religious. but its up to them to decide which way to go.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Yes they are and they love it. Dd loves the nice people she meets at church and the fun groups, and clubs she is a member of. I was raised the same way and have no issues with it. In college I chose to learn about all the other religions also just to make sure that I was in teh right one, and I was.

Wendy_June
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I am raising my sons Christian just like I was. My dad, a pastor, always told me, "Don't you dare just believe what I'm telling you. You go out and reserch what you believe and why you believe it." I hope that as my sons get older they choose do search out what they believe and not just do as I say.  My parents also taught my siblings and I about what other religions and people believed.

Edit, We were expected to behave as children of a christian pastor but he always said that once we are out of the house we can pick the waywe decide to live.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Quoting allyson2212:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Well they have minds and can think for themselves but as long as they live here and rely on me for care they will behave as practicing Catholics.

allyson2212
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting allyson2212:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Well they have minds and can think for themselves but as long as they live here and rely on me for care they will behave as practicing Catholics.

Oh, well thats a little different. I think a lot of kids need to go to church weather they believe or not! It teaches good morals.

elly25
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Yes and no I guess.My children were born into a home with one Catholic (me) and one Baptist (husband) parent.We have thought them about God and they say their prayers at night.We are also spiritual people.I was raised that you shouldn't force religion down a child/person's throat.To let your child pick for them self.To know about God and the meanings behind things on both sides of religion/non-religion.That is what my sister,brother,and I did.That is how we all are raising your children too.So far it is working for us.

owls

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)