Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will My Application Be Accepted or Rejected?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have been living with my mom for 6yrs. and as much as I love her I am ready to get my own place.  Here is my concern, I know that apartments do a credit check and I am not sure what my credit score is( I tried to check but it came up as unable to give me info.) I know it can't be horrible as I have had a phone bill in my name for over 6yrs and have a good history with AT&T, I have had my cell phone for 2 yrs and have a good payment history with them, and I got a new car(my mother did co-sign) and I have made all payments on time for the 10 months that I have had it(I was told after a year my mothers name can be taken off).  I have been in a debt consolidation program for 2 yrs and some of my credit cards have already been paid off through the program and I have 2 yrs left before everything is paid off.  When I was with my husband he messed up my credit by  buying things in my name and then not paying on them.  I have been working real hard to repair my credit and was worrying about whether I will be rejected when I apply for an apartment?  I know my credit is not going to be great, but I don't think it would be horrible either.  Does anybody have any idea about whether I have a chance of being approved or not.?  I love my mother but I really think with two young children that it is time for us to move on.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chais_wifey
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone can answer your question. Different apartments will have different requirements. I hope you get approved though.

AlyssaRob1416
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:00 PM

We have had some pretty crappy credit (especially my husband) and never had trouble getting a place.

RiverPhenix
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM

From past experience it is all about payment history, not so much your actual score. If you make payments on time regularly then I feel you should be accepted. But like the other responder said, each apartment complex has different requirements.

Good luck and I hope you get it!!!

Susanjdv861
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM

we have lived in 4 different apt complexes, and our credit score has never been an issue. we have horrible credit too. honestly i don't think it matters. the only reason they want ur credit score is that is what they base your deposit on. our credit is horrible so every place we live in they make us pay the max amount. also the only other reason they want your credit score is cuz they are looking for evictions. i think as long as you don't have any evictions, you are good. if your credit is really bad they just gonna make u pay more of a deposit. if it really really bad, then they mite ask for a co-signer. but again, our credit is horrible and we have never had any problems renting. we have never been rejected cuz of it. but i suppose it really just depends on where you rent.

Leener3
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Each owner will have their own criteria; all you can do is try and see how it goes.  By the way, your debt consolidation company should be able to run a current credit score, call them and ask, just make sure they are doing it for free.

Although not words to live by this is the way I look at it.

Credit scores are exactly like your GPA; it takes a lot of hard to work to build and only one screw up will undo the whole thing!

gypsydancer7
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:10 PM

We have awful credit (that is getting much mch better slowly but surely) and have never ever had a problem

Happy Valentines Day!!

Swtmama62205
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:10 PM

a lot of places now are being much more lenient because the economy is in the shitter

pregnancy calendar

Stay at home mommy to two little boys Noah who is 4 and Andrew who is 2! And a loving wife to my wonderful husband Ryan=)
Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Quoting Leener3:

Each owner will have their own criteria; all you can do is try and see how it goes.  By the way, your debt consolidation company should be able to run a current credit score, call them and ask, just make sure they are doing it for free.

Although not words to live by this is the way I look at it.

Credit scores are exactly like your GPA; it takes a lot of hard to work to build and only one screw up will undo the whole thing!

wow- i like that semi-saying. lol

my mom has really bad credit- HER credit- she had to file bankruptcy a few years back- i think 5 or 6 now. i know its almost at the 7 year mark.. but she's never been denied an apartment. one, she needed my dad to co-sign, but the other ones- nope.

wearing crown                  backpack
                                         Boo-Boo 
                                      10/15/2005
21 year old single mom of a 4 year old boy. Not sure exactly what kind of mom I am, but I get a chance to better myself everyday. My biggest goal for 2010 is to break out of my shell.

~~~ I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

mamajen07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:13 PM

the only way to find out is to try. and be fully honest with them. if they have questions about your history, tell them the truth! =)

honey27
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:41 PM

apartments are not as strict as they use to be the only thing that will probably affect you with bad credit is the amount of the deposit and how much you make. as long as you make so much towards rent and can pay the deposit you should be able to get in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)