Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you get a backyard play centre?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:37 PM
  • 22 Replies

We have 3 boys under 5 and currently have a variety of plastic items in the backyard but thinking about investing in a wood playcentre called CAPTIVA by Backyard Escapes. It is basically a platform with arched roof and a rope climber, rock wall, slide and swing-set.

Just wondering if other parents have these and what you think about the investment. Do your kids get use out of them? We are in Canada and it is only warm April-September or October.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:39 PM

We did...and no I wouldn't do it again.

They didn't play with it near enough to make it worth the money.

Momm-a-lyze
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Can I ask about what you spent and what ages your kids were? This could be really helpful :)

KT9105
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Once we have a bigger yard and don't live somewhere we have to worry about sand spurs we'll most likely get one (and have kids old enough to use it).  I had one growing up and we loved it.  Our street was kind of secluded from the rest of the neighborhood bc we were on a deadend.  All the kids on the street would migrate from house to house, and playground to playground.

Laura4807
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Heck yes we will.

We're getting one for our daughter this summer.... she turns 3 in April.

AngelicaRenee
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I really wanted to get my son one for his second birthday, but my husband didn't like the idea and we didn't have near enough money for it. We got him a power wheels instead.

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:56 PM

At the time they were 2,3 and 6. We spent $1500.

Quoting Momm-a-lyze:

Can I ask about what you spent and what ages your kids were? This could be really helpful :)

Momm-a-lyze
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM

We currently have a plastic Little Tikes one that is GREAT but it is a bit of an eye-sore and I just feel like the wooden one is the natural progression - plus it has swings. Your feedback is really helping. The one I posted I am buying for a very good price (off season) from someone I found on Kjijii. I recommend buying off season and asking about prices for demo units. The one we are looking at is only $275 delivered. We are actually going cheaper because we have a slide and don't need the swings.

CarterMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM

we don't have THAT one but we have a play set in the yard and my boys LOVE it!  we also only paid like $200 for ours @ walmart

mamajen07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:07 PM

we absolutly plan on buying/building one. i love that one =) i'm not a fan of primary coloured plastic ones! ...we also live in canada =)

Momm-a-lyze
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Quoting CarterMommy:

we don't have THAT one but we have a play set in the yard and my boys LOVE it!  we also only paid like $200 for ours @ walmart

How big of one do you have (weird question but okay between girls) - and what does it include? Anything like the one I posted at the top?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)