Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies and Solid Foods

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM
  • 51 Replies

When did you start your babies on solids? I know the ideal is 4-6 months...I'm not asking for your opinion on when I should start my son on them....just asking when you started your kids on solids (including rice cereal).

The lady at WIC told me that my son is exhibiting signs that he is ready for solids...but I don't know if I am going to start him yet...

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ethans_mommy09
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I gave him cereal 4 months and slowly started baby food..I gave him the gerber finger food snacks (melts & yorgurt melts) when he was about 6 months..Im starting to introduce the baby fruit in the gerber gars now and he is 9 months..My son started showing signs about 4-5 months and his dr said it was ok to try some solids..im still not sure what to give him..hope i helped you..

20 year old SAHM to Ethan Michael..May 9-09..vaxing mommy.formula feeding..got married when I was 18 to my high school sweetheart..Air Force wife to John..May 17-08.R.I.P DADDY..10-26-59...8-24-08..

RaynesMommy07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I start rice cereal when they turn 4mths. 

abbysmommy429
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:57 PM

We started rice cereal and solids at 5 months with some diluted apple juice.  

CafeMom Tickers
lcappytan05
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:58 PM

yes, thank you.

my son just turned 3 months but he is exhibiting all the signs that he is ready for solid foods (DH has even just been putting an empty spoon to his mouth to see what he does and DS opens his mouth when he sees the spoon and tries to put it in his mouth)...

his pediatrician said we would talk about it at his 4 mos. appt. but he is ready now I think.

Quoting ethans_mommy09:

I gave him cereal 4 months and slowly started baby food..I gave him the gerber finger food snacks (melts & yorgurt melts) when he was about 6 months..Im starting to introduce the baby fruit in the gerber gars now and he is 9 months..My son started showing signs about 4-5 months and his dr said it was ok to try some solids..im still not sure what to give him..hope i helped you..

Military Moms

ShadowLark
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM

The lady at WIC is insane.  That said, it was around 4 months for my son and 7 or 8 months for my daughter.  (Tried at 6 months, she didn't want any.)

kaidensmommy09
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM

i waited until my baby boy was a little over 5 months.. just because he was already sleeping through the night and there was no reason to rush things.. he started veggies and fruit at a little over 6 months.. of course they were slowly introduced with only one new food every couple days.. now he is 8 months and has eaten almost every baby food out there and we are starting to give him some finger foods- but that makes me nervous! Even though he has 4 teeth.. i've heard that cereal before they are 4 mos isnt recommended because something in there stomachs isnt fully developed yet.. something like that?! GL!

ShadowLark
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM

All that proves is that he's smart!  He sees you guys eating and he wants to copy you.  Congrats, his chances of being Autistic have just plummeted.  But that does NOT mean that he'd be able to digest solid food yet.  His gut needs more time to mature.  Get those mesh bag feeders and give him some frozen formula/breast milk (not sure what he takes).  The mesh bag prevents choking and the popsicle gives him the illusion of "eating" without the stomach upset of new foods.

Quoting lcappytan05:

yes, thank you.

my son just turned 3 months but he is exhibiting all the signs that he is ready for solid foods (DH has even just been putting an empty spoon to his mouth to see what he does and DS opens his mouth when he sees the spoon and tries to put it in his mouth)...

his pediatrician said we would talk about it at his 4 mos. appt. but he is ready now I think.

Quoting ethans_mommy09:

lcappytan05
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:04 PM

really? why do you think she's insane? she actually has a medical degree...so I do take her opinion on the matter to heart...

Quoting ShadowLark:

The lady at WIC is insane.  That said, it was around 4 months for my son and 7 or 8 months for my daughter.  (Tried at 6 months, she didn't want any.)

Military Moms

lcappytan05
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:07 PM

lol, well I know he's smart...lol.

that's not the only thing he does. He refuses food when he's not hungry or when he's full, he can sit up with very little support on each side of him, he does the spoon thing, he is almost at the recommended 13lbs, and he is almost going through 32 oz in one day....

all of this says that he is ready for it...

Quoting ShadowLark:

All that proves is that he's smart!  He sees you guys eating and he wants to copy you.  Congrats, his chances of being Autistic have just plummeted.  But that does NOT mean that he'd be able to digest solid food yet.  His gut needs more time to mature.  Get those mesh bag feeders and give him some frozen formula/breast milk (not sure what he takes).  The mesh bag prevents choking and the popsicle gives him the illusion of "eating" without the stomach upset of new foods.

Quoting lcappytan05:

yes, thank you.

Quoting ethans_mommy09:

Military Moms

ShadowLark
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Because a baby who's barely three months old is NOT ready for solids.  His gut isn't mature enough.  Did she do an exam of his gut or just notice how happy he is to see a spoon?  Because without the exam, she doesn't know a thing about it, medical degree or not.

Plus, not everyone with a medical degree gives good advice.  Look at all the doctors out there saying that it's ok to forward face a 9 month old just because he's 22 lbs.  Or the doctors who brush mom off even when she KNOWS her baby is sick.  ALL the current research says that 3 months is FAR too young for solid foods.

All that said, if YOU feel that he's ready, start with the tiniest amount - like a teaspoon of rice cereal in 5 oz of formula/breast milk.  Give it to him with a spoon, not in a bottle.  See what happens that night.  If he really IS ready, you prove me wrong.  If not, be prepared for a VERY gassy, uncomfortable, more than likely sleepless baby.  GL!

Quoting lcappytan05:

really? why do you think she's insane? she actually has a medical degree...so I do take her opinion on the matter to heart...

Quoting ShadowLark:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)