Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling bad about using my WIC now.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM
  • 22 Replies

I just started getting WIC a few weeks ago and went to use it for the first time tonight.  My brother and I went grocery shopping tonight.  I was standing in line with all of my groceries sorting what was WIC covered and what is not.  For those who have been or are on WIC you know that there are a lot of foods that aren't covered as meats and stuff.  As I'm sorting my WIC/non WIC items I actually started to feel like some one would judge me because I was using WIC to get some things and cash to get others.  It was weird and I didn't like it.

I don't like the idea of being judged for my situation, but what else can I do?  I am currently unemployed and my unemployment hasn't kicked in yet so I need to conserve what little cash I have.  If I didn't need the assistance I wouldn't have it, but I feel horrible now for using the assistance instead of paying cash for everything.  If I hadn't used the WIC checks I would not have had money for gas to make it for the rest of the week.  Should I feel bad for using my checks and paying cash for everything else?  I don't think I should, but I honestly felt like I did something wrong and that some one around me was judging me.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KT9105
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I learned a long time ago not to give a shit about what random strangers think of me.  If you need WIC and aren't abusing it, use it as much as you have to.  Anyone who doesn't like it can fork over the cash for your groceries or shut the f*ck up.

amayabrianna
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM

No you shouldn't feel bad. It is there so you can use it if you need it. You need it so use it. I think you have CM syndrom. Which is the constant thought that no matter where you are there is a CM mom watching you waiting for you to do something so she can post about it later. LOL....Use it mama you need it!!! 

__Pro_Choice_is_NOT______stamp_by_T.gif Pro Choice not Pro Abortion image by croatoan5376ifyoucant30.jpg pro choice image by karmaschaos3756f1d9.jpg menstruation is murder! image by karmaschaosPro-choice.gif Pro choice image by Treehugger30

thextended-rear-facing.gif image by MommabunchCopyofFinalcarseatblinkie.gif image by Mommabunch

twinmamaof3
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Dont worry about it!  You gotta do what you gotta do!  We were using wic for a bit, I got a job, got off of it, quit my job to go to school and got back on.  but I just dropped it, since I didnt feel like we needed it aymore. Everyone needs a little help sometimes!

JenniferZiemba
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I understand how you feel.  I think I would feel the same way.  But you can't go around worrying about what strangers think of you.  F them.  Your doing what you have to do and as long as your not abusing the system then you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Quoting jkleinman:

I just started getting WIC a few weeks ago and went to use it for the first time tonight.  My brother and I went grocery shopping tonight.  I was standing in line with all of my groceries sorting what was WIC covered and what is not.  For those who have been or are on WIC you know that there are a lot of foods that aren't covered as meats and stuff.  As I'm sorting my WIC/non WIC items I actually started to feel like some one would judge me because I was using WIC to get some things and cash to get others.  It was weird and I didn't like it.

I don't like the idea of being judged for my situation, but what else can I do?  I am currently unemployed and my unemployment hasn't kicked in yet so I need to conserve what little cash I have.  If I didn't need the assistance I wouldn't have it, but I feel horrible now for using the assistance instead of paying cash for everything.  If I hadn't used the WIC checks I would not have had money for gas to make it for the rest of the week.  Should I feel bad for using my checks and paying cash for everything else?  I don't think I should, but I honestly felt like I did something wrong and that some one around me was judging me.

Krissy21
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Agreed!

Quoting KT9105:

I learned a long time ago not to give a shit about what random strangers think of me.  If you need WIC and aren't abusing it, use it as much as you have to.  Anyone who doesn't like it can fork over the cash for your groceries or shut the f*ck up.

firewife1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:05 PM

dont feel bad. We have a store near us that i try not to go to now .where if you use a voucher they have to call a manager to key it. Yeah so everybody has to wait till they get their and take care of it. I currently just go to the one that they can run it through like a check to avoid this.

jelync
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Don't feel bad Honey. If you need it you need it. That's all there is to it. I totally understand feeling unconfortable but it is not like you are ripping any one off and if people think that then they are the one's with the problem!

Chin up and Good luck!

Jenn

mommyunique
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I was on WIC and food stamps at one point. I won't lie and say I didn't feel the same way you do because I did. It was embarassing to me. Not because its bad to have those things but because I really see myself doing better. I see myself being self sufficient and not having to rely on any one for anything. However, that's not my current situation.

So like the other ladies said, you learn to say screw em all. None of them are going to help you pay your bills or anything. YOU have to feed your family so you do what you have to do.

Said with love,

Ms. Johnson (*Unbreakable)

ElShaddi
Quoting Krissy21:

Agreed!

Quoting KT9105:

mamajen07

with all the judgemental people i've encountered on here i can't blame you for feeling that way. but you shouldn't =) you gotta do what you gotta do, and you certainly don't sound like you're abusing the system. don't worry mama! =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)