Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why are you not giving your baby ____ yet?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM
  • 38 Replies

I was at church the yesterday and we had a potluck and I was giving my 9 month old a little bit of the foods to taste. The doctor said I could start giving him table foods as long as they were easy to mash up. I had some older people saying things like "Oh good, he's eating that stuff now." And "I gave my son green beans when he was 4 weeks old" and "I gave my child solids when he was 2 months old" and "they turned out fine." I also had one person try to give my son some chocolate. I was wondering why is it that we wait so long to give our babies solids? As these older people were saying their kids turned out fine. Why is it that this generation feels so strongly about waiting to introduce solids? Is it really that bad for them to start early? I was just wondering what your opinion was about starting solids early.

P.S. I started solids at 6 months and just started table foods at 9 months.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KT9105
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I know women who drank like fish while they were pregnant and their babies turned out fine.  Doesn't mean I'd recommend it.  Carseats are a relatively new invention too, just because they weren't used 50 years ago doesn't mean that way is best.

Giving a 4 week old green beans is a little much imo.

hfs1998
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I don't think introducing foods early is going to kill your baby or anything.  But I'd rather go with the latest research on what's best for baby's digestive system.  When we know better, we do better.  And BTW, those old people may have started THEIR babies on food early but they very well may have been started later on foods by their mothers.  What's old is new again, lol!  I know my grandmother (77) didn't get much besides breastmilk until nearly a year old whereas she started my mother on foods at just a couple of weeks old and didn't trust breastmilk at all, based on the info she got from their dr back in the 50s.

ctc05
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Honestly I think it's because most Moms want their kids to stay babies for as long as possible. DD got solids around 3 months. I waited longer with DS he was 5 months.

bannannagirl
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Quoting KT9105:

I know women who drank like fish while they were pregnant and their babies turned out fine.  Doesn't mean I'd recommend it.  Carseats are a relatively new invention too, just because they weren't used 50 years ago doesn't mean that way is best.

And whats even funnier is she was told to give him green beans by his doctor!

CafeMom Tickers
TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:04 PM

This  :)   And I completely agree with "when we know better, we do better"

Quoting hfs1998:

I don't think introducing foods early is going to kill your baby or anything.  But I'd rather go with the latest research on what's best for baby's digestive system.  When we know better, we do better.  And BTW, those old people may have started THEIR babies on food early but they very well may have been started later on foods by their mothers.  What's old is new again, lol!  I know my grandmother (77) didn't get much besides breastmilk until nearly a year old whereas she started my mother on foods at just a couple of weeks old and didn't trust breastmilk at all, based on the info she got from their dr back in the 50s.

bannannagirl
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Quoting hfs1998:

Good point, I guess we will just have to go with the times and tell others well that may be what they did then but now things are different.

CafeMom Tickers
hfs1998
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Quoting bannannagirl:

Quoting KT9105:

And whats even funnier is she was told to give him green beans by his doctor!

I'm not surprised.  I was born in 1972 and my mother gave me lamb at 6 wks because the dr told her so.  lol!  And I know a woman who was pg in the 60s and her dr scolded her for gaining too much weight while pg and he told her to take up smoking to cut her appetite. 

babie113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:11 PM

its not recommended because babies are born with immature stomachs and they cant process alot of food some of it is also because of possible allergies and the chocking hazard .

my baby is six months and i just started giving him baby food .he already has allergies  so im careful im going to be very careful with table foods when he starts that

its amazing what drs have learnt in the past 40 years

babie113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:15 PM

no b/c most moms are going from what the drs are telling them its got nothing to do with wanting a baby to stay a baby for longer

Quoting ctc05:

Honestly I think it's because most Moms want their kids to stay babies for as long as possible. DD got solids around 3 months. I waited longer with DS he was 5 months.

armywifenmom09
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I gave DD cereal at 2 months, jarred food at 3 months, table foods and 6 months and completely off jarred foods by 9 months.... she was also down to one or two bottles a day by the time she was nine months old. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)