Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

there IS a parenting test

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM
  • 9 Replies

Everyone keeps saying if they had a test to administer.. there is one. If one would look into catholic social services and ask about parenting classes, they will test you before the first class, rating your ansers on a scale or no imminate risk / no risk at all .. then moderate risk / moderte danger.. lastly severe risk / danger

No risk or danger means you know waht you are doing adn how to act.... moderate means you have an understanding but have higher expectations of what one can or should do at that time... severe danger or risk would be you have no idea and if a child were put in taht situtaion it many not end well

They asses you adn then based on your scale they will cover that in a parenting workbook, the class is about 11 weeks, , at the end they asses you again to see if it taught you anything

the questions in the assesment are like

true or false

A child should be able to use the to use the toilet at 3 years old by him or herself

of course the anser is false, often time they are not trained by then

or

true or false it is ok to hit a childs hand as a last resort

~~ for most the answer is true, adn for me it is too but as far as they are concerned it is no, that fosters the idea that hitting is ok kinda deal..

they will change the wording to see if you will change your answer.. then you rate things.. its been over a year since I took the class.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KristenFowles
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM

You lost my interest at "Catholic School"

.... I do not now, nor will you ever show me, a written test that is able to "grade" or "rate" someone's parental abilities.

kiralyn
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM

sounds like they are just opinion based questions from the examples you gave, and not everyone's parenting opinions are going to line up with the Catholic Church.

KT9105
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Same here.  I was raised Catholic, and that was enough.  What happens if you don't pass the test?  Does the Vatican take your kids away? 

I don't see the point in parenting tests, no one's an expert, alot of parenting is trial and error and as long as your kids make it out ok and not complete assholes you get a gold star.

Quoting KristenFowles:

.... I do not now, nor will you ever show me, a written test that is able to "grade" or "rate" someone's parental abilities.

Love2HateMe
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I was just saying there is a test.. and as far as the catholic social servies thing.. i know that is one place that does it ehre.. that and children adn youth services...

it was over a year ago I did this class, they help you out a lot with differnt things you can do..

but i was just kinda saying there is a test.. most of the time people referred to doing it are the ones not doing a good job and have to deal with children an youth

KristenFowles
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Okay so this test is for a Parenting Class?  To find your "problem areas" ? 

I mean, to each's own... I guess if I were looking for parenting classes I'd check out an Early Child Development center, or something of that nature that actually specializes in childhood development.. Not a Church..

But if the class was helpful to you, it served it's purpose.

Love2HateMe
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM

It wasnt a church that I went to.. as strange as it seems.. it was a little building with 2 offices and a main room behind my lawyers offices...

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jan. 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Lmfao at some of the responses.. 

Sirenabella
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Catholic church.... right... that won't be based on opinions on raising children instead of facts....   

southernjess3
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Quoting KristenFowles:

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)