Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any diabetics out there?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:26 PM
  • 20 Replies

I just moved don't have a doctor yet...but once I get one I plan to go. I have been diabetic for half my life, 12 years, and my feet are beginning to hurt terribly. Is this a diabetic thing? Should I ask my doctor about it? What could be causing it? They are sore like I have been standing all day but I haven't. I usually have to take an asprin so I can relax when I go to bed cause my feet and legs are so sore...

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raegansmom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I have been diabetic (Type I) for 16 years.  I do not have issues with my feet, but it is common to.  I would definately have your new doc check it out.  I know that every time I see my endo, she makes me take off my shoes & checks my feet anyway.

Just_Bethy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Please see a Doctor when you can...I am not diabetic but some of my relatives were ... and I know feet are very important and need taking care of...!!!

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

michelle121003
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM

A very dear friend of mine is diabetic and went through that.  You probably have neuropathy starting.  It is common in diabetics.  You tend to have circulation problems.  There are medications that  can help with the tingling and soreness.  You definatly need to tell your doc (when you find one!!  Soon!!) what's going on.  You don't want to be like my friend and have all kinds of problem with his legs and feet now cuz he just ignored what was going on!

NattysMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Quoting raegansmom:

I have been diabetic (Type I) for 16 years.  I do not have issues with my feet, but it is common to.  I would definately have your new doc check it out.  I know that every time I see my endo, she makes me take off my shoes & checks my feet anyway.

All my doctors have ever done is check the sensation in my feet and make sure any cuts I had were healing...they never asked about soreness. The feeling is fine and I don't have any cuts so I don't know what else would cause them to be sore. Like, my muscles are sore and I don't know what would cause that kind of pain....I have no idea.

(I don't really trust doctors so I would like to go in with an idea to throw at them...I am usually ignored when I say "Hey, this doesn't seem right.")

raegansmom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM

It is hard to find a good doctor!  I went through several before I found an endo that I trust & that LISTENS to me.  How have your sugars been?  Your A1c?  Is everything okay with that?  The only time I have problems with my feet is if I am in heels all day (I'm a Realtor, it's practically a job requirement!) and then when I take them off and walk, my feet hurt.  I think that is not a diabetic thing though?!?  The only other time I can think of, for me personally, is if my sugar is high & I am standing in one place for awhile, then I feel my feet tingle & they are discolored until I walk around a bit.

gmzana
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM

more than likely its neuropathy(sp) i worked for a dr. that specialized in diebetes. when looking for a dr. loos for one that is internal medicine rather than family practice.

NattysMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Quoting michelle121003:

A very dear friend of mine is diabetic and went through that.  You probably have neuropathy starting.  It is common in diabetics.  You tend to have circulation problems.  There are medications that  can help with the tingling and soreness.  You definatly need to tell your doc (when you find one!!  Soon!!) what's going on.  You don't want to be like my friend and have all kinds of problem with his legs and feet now cuz he just ignored what was going on!

I didn't think soreness in my muscles would be a sign of neuropathy. I will look up some stuff on it. Thank you

michelle121003
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Peripheral neuropathy
Peripheral neuropathy is the most common form of diabetic neuropathy. It damages nerves in your feet, legs, arms and hands, but your legs and feet are affected most often. Symptoms include:

• Numbness or reduced ability to feel pain or changes in temperature, especially in your feet
  • A tingling, burning or prickling sensation that starts in your toes or the balls of your feet and gradually spreads upward
  • Sharp, jabbing or electric shock-like pain that's worse at night
  • Extreme sensitivity to the lightest touch — for some people, even the weight of a sheet can be agonizing
  • Loss of balance and coordination
  • Muscle weakness and difficulty walking
  • Serious foot problems, such as ulcers, infections, deformities, and bone and joint pain

This came from the MayoClinic website...doesn't really say anything about the soreness, but I know my friends started out as his legs being sore, then moved into the tingling and creepies as he called it!

NattysMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Quoting michelle121003:

Peripheral neuropathy
Peripheral neuropathy is the most common form of diabetic neuropathy. It damages nerves in your feet, legs, arms and hands, but your legs and feet are affected most often. Symptoms include:

• Numbness or reduced ability to feel pain or changes in temperature, especially in your feet
  • A tingling, burning or prickling sensation that starts in your toes or the balls of your feet and gradually spreads upward
  • Sharp, jabbing or electric shock-like pain that's worse at night
  • Extreme sensitivity to the lightest touch — for some people, even the weight of a sheet can be agonizing
  • Loss of balance and coordination
  • Muscle weakness and difficulty walking
  • Serious foot problems, such as ulcers, infections, deformities, and bone and joint pain

This came from the MayoClinic website...doesn't really say anything about the soreness, but I know my friends started out as his legs being sore, then moved into the tingling and creepies as he called it!

Hmm well I don't like it when my legs are touched...it doesn't feel good. I don't have any of those other symptoms...yet. Looks like this is gonna be my next problem!!! Oh fun haha! thanks for your help!

NattysMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Quoting gmzana:

more than likely its neuropathy(sp) i worked for a dr. that specialized in diebetes. when looking for a dr. loos for one that is internal medicine rather than family practice.

Yeah I usually see an Endo!! Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)