Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keep your sick kid HOME!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM
  • 23 Replies

I can understand that parents can't always take off work or afford childcare to keep a kid with a simple cold or the sniffles home from school.  However....when your kid has a rash, a fever and numerous bright red spots on him/her, do you think you might just be able to PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR BIG FAT FANNY LONG ENOUGH TO REALIZE HE/SHE PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE SENT TO SCHOOL?

ARGH!  Some parents just tick me off!  Now thanks to THEIR irresponsibility, MY kid has the chicken pox! 

This isn't to say that he would never have gotten it otherwise, but for gosh sakes, how stupid does a person have to be to send their child into a big old group of kids in that condition? 

Okay, just needed a nice rant :)  Thanks :)

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I remember when I was a kid and we were intentionally exposed to chicken pox.

Hope your kid feels better.

Turb0Happy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Wow, really?   Why would they intentionally expose them? 

anetrnlov
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Just to get it over with.  Helped build the immune system.

Quoting Turb0Happy:

gilbertgrl627
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:00 PM

lol, Well, my DS has bright red spots on him, and a rash, but it's not chicken pox...it's eczema. And it probably won't go away until it warms up (or gets older). But he's only 5 months, so he's not in daycare/school anyway.

I'm sorry your child got sick. I remember having the chicken pox (oddly enough), and I also remember when my siblings all had it. If I knew my kid was sick, they would not be going to school.

isra1986
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Because the older you are when you get it, the more risks.
If DD doesn't get it by time she is 5 or 6, I will find a way to expose her!

Quoting Turb0Happy:

NewJoyOn1308
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Sometimes it is the school or childcare provider's fault for not mandating that the child be kept home or not allowed into the facility. I know that might sound stupid, but I am a middle school teacher and I have gotten pink eye, the common cold and other things from students who went to the nurse and were sent back to class or whose parents sent them to school knowing they were sick and the school let them stay.

DanielleK21
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM

They have a vacination for it. 

I AM A SAHM OF 2 WONDERFUL CHILDREN. LOVING WIFE OF 2 YEARS. I BREASTFED SWITCHED TO FORMULA WITH BOTH OF MY CHILDREN. I BELIEVE IN CRYING IT OUT AFTER 2 MONTHS OLD, SPANKINGS WHEN NEEDED, I LET MY FAMILY EAT JUNK FOOD IF THEY WANT IT, GAVE MY DD'S WHOLE HALLOWEEN, AND EASTER BASKET TO HER TILL THE CANDY WAS GONE. I AM A SMOKER TRYING TO QUIT, DRINK ON OCCASION, LOVE TO COOK, MY HOME IS ALWAYS CLEAN "IF" SOME ONE SHOWS UP, NEVER LATE TO ANYTHING KIND OF MOMMY AND WIFE. ITS JUST WHO I AM.

teenmom0305
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM

and i heard that it is deadly for adults to get chicken pox

Quoting anetrnlov:

Just to get it over with.  Helped build the immune system.

Quoting Turb0Happy:

TinaN64
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM

For the uninformed... 

When someone becomes infected, the pox usually appear 10 to 21 days later. People become contagious 1 to 2 days before breaking out with pox. They remain contagious while uncrusted blisters are present.

So, by the time the pox manifests visually your kid has already been exposed.  It's one of those diseases that you don't know you've been exposed until it's too late.  So, it's not "Stupid", it's someone who didn't know their kid had it in the first place.

Learn something before accusing and calling someone stupid.

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM

I know it is frustrating but a lot of times the parents don't  realize until it is to late.  My daughter was so many times last year it was ridiculous.  People don't start seeing symptoms of chicken pox until 2-3 weeks after they have been infected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)