Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 months and sleeping on stomach...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:04 PM
  • 15 Replies

He wiggles right out of the positioner so I dont even use it anymore. He can flip front to back, and vice versa. He can hold himself up really well, sit up by himself (for the most part) and he is almost crawling...

but it scares the crap out of me when he sleeps on his tummy. Sometimes its his side or his back, but lately... and tonight... its his belly.

I think the rule of thumb is that he will be okay... but I still worry. He has one soft block toy in his crib with him... no pillows or blankets. He sleeps in a pack and play with a quilted cover on the mat... but it fits snug... so why am I so worried?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessigarrett
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM

HERE IS WHAT MY DR TOLD ME WHEN I WAS WORRIED "A BABY THAT CAN ROLL OVER WONT DIE FROM SIDS" HER EXACT WORDS

MomofVictor
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM

My little man slept on his stomach since he was born! I tried to put him on his back and side and he would only sleep for about an hour.. I tried putting him on his stomach and he slept for 5 hours (that was about 1 wk old). He has been on his stomach since...

If he can roll over, there is really nothing you can do about it. Make sure there is nothing he can get stuck on and he should be fine. JMO

ctc05
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM

The doc is basically right.....they think they suffocate so as long as they can move their head they should be fine. But there is also a theory that it's a gene and in that case.....it doesn't matter which way they sleep.

Quoting tairakittie:

He wiggles right out of the positioner so I dont even use it anymore. He can flip front to back, and vice versa. He can hold himself up really well, sit up by himself (for the most part) and he is almost crawling...

but it scares the crap out of me when he sleeps on his tummy. Sometimes its his side or his back, but lately... and tonight... its his belly.

I think the rule of thumb is that he will be okay... but I still worry. He has one soft block toy in his crib with him... no pillows or blankets. He sleeps in a pack and play with a quilted cover on the mat... but it fits snug... so why am I so worried?

MNilsen
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I brought this up with my pediatrician when DS was under 6 months old.  I couldn't keep him on his back.  He told me not to worry.  i would still check in on how but after a bit... I just stopped worrying. 

Now I worry about him crawling out of his crib...

CafeMom Tickers

susie.stacy

your worried cause your a good momma!!!

really just wanted to reply to tell ya that i LUV the names of your kids!!!!!!!!!! so cool!!!!!!! 

You can change the world with one random act of kindness at a time.

supermom3806

That's how my son was he wouldn't sleep at all on his back he had to be on his stomach.

Quoting MomofVictor:

My little man slept on his stomach since he was born! I tried to put him on his back and side and he would only sleep for about an hour.. I tried putting him on his stomach and he slept for 5 hours (that was about 1 wk old). He has been on his stomach since...

If he can roll over, there is really nothing you can do about it. Make sure there is nothing he can get stuck on and he should be fine. JMO

KristenFowles
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM

When you and I were babies - it was said that SIDS happened more often with babies on their BACKS.

Neither one of my children slept for more than an hour at a time on their backs.. but would go through the night (from week 3) on their tummies.  Therefor, they BOTH slept on their stomach.  If a baby is going to encounter SIDS, I don't believe it has to do with back/tummy sleeping.

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Quoting susie.stacy:

really just wanted to reply to tell ya that i LUV the names of your kids!!!!!!!!!! so cool!!!!!!! 

Thank you!! And I figured I was just letting my fears get to me. I was paranoid with DD and checked on her every 10 minutes until she was 9 months old... ive been doing good with only checking on DS every once in a while. Having his face buried in his arm while he sleeps on his stomach is scary for me, but I know in the deepest of deeps that he will be okay.

susie.stacy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Quoting tairakittie:

Quoting susie.stacy:

Thank you!! And I figured I was just letting my fears get to me. I was paranoid with DD and checked on her every 10 minutes until she was 9 months old... ive been doing good with only checking on DS every once in a while. Having his face buried in his arm while he sleeps on his stomach is scary for me, but I know in the deepest of deeps that he will be okay.

thats what moms do.....worry!!! i have 3 boys, a 3 yr old, a 4yr old, and a 2month old! so that is all i do!!!!!!! my mom keeps putting my 2 month old on his belly and i ALWAYs turn him on his back. she tells me he will get a flat head!!!! LOL!! i just tell her it will go with his big ears!!!! my 4 yr old keeps telling me that his baby brother has dumbo ears. not sure where that one came from , but it is the family joke at the moment!!

You can change the world with one random act of kindness at a time.

Irishmellanhead
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:29 PM

My little has been also. Every time we would put her on her back she would sleep for no more than 15mins and than wake up and not go back to sleep....we tried elevating the mattress and everything else to get to her sleep on her back and nothing would work.  I still am freaked out about it but that is where she is happiest sleeping.

Quoting MomofVictor:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)