Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did he sign it?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:18 PM
  • 12 Replies

Did the father of your child(ren) sign the birth certificate when they were born?

Just curious because my son didn't have one to be signed by his dad (my husband). The hospital's records clerk came into to my room the day after Ethan was born and asked what my full maiden name was and my husband's and had me sign a paper then we picked it up a week later at the county clerk's office.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:20 PM

He had to sign a bunch of stuff to have his name on the kids birth certificates.

supermom3806
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:30 PM

same here we wasn't married at the time so he had to sign papers

Quoting anetrnlov:

He had to sign a bunch of stuff to have his name on the kids birth certificates.

refinada_20
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM

With our first he had to sign papers since we weren't married.  With our second since we were married he didn't have to sign anything, which was good since he was deployed.

chabb
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:33 PM

we were not married so he had to sign a few papers but we did it all right there at the hospital.

ff-princess
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM

the hospital clerk came in and verified all the info with dh and I, then we had to order a bc from the county.  we got one from the hospital, but it's just for the baby book, it's not legal or "official."

Quoting rjpetty605:

Did the father of your child(ren) sign the birth certificate when they were born?

Just curious because my son didn't have one to be signed by his dad (my husband). The hospital's records clerk came into to my room the day after Ethan was born and asked what my full maiden name was and my husband's and had me sign a paper then we picked it up a week later at the county clerk's office.

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Ours only required 1 parent signature...

SP_Mama
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Yes.  We both had to sign an Acknowledment of Paternity and then he was put on the birth certificate.

rjpetty605
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 5:31 AM

Ok so its a paternity thing...if you are not married they have to sign papers?

I was just curious. I watch Maury and all that and they are always talking about signing the birth certificate. Ethan's bc has my signature, the doctor's signature, and the registar's signature on it (from Michigan). My bc only has the registar's signature (from New Mexico).

Thanks for sharing

Mommyto3As
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 5:35 AM

Ours did too....My DH had signed all the necessary papers before I came out of recovery. Thank goodness he spelled her name right, lol.

Quoting Supervane:

Ours only required 1 parent signature...

kiralyn
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 5:42 AM

my husband and i werent married when i had her. we had to do a paternity affidavit before she was born..basically just him saying yes hes the father and hes not contesting it. we filled it out and it had to be notarized.  i received her birth certificate and he wasnt on it (i guess it didnt get filed or something) so i just had to send it back with a copy of the paternity affidavit and he was put on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)