Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do fetus's have soul's?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM
  • 148 Replies

I  wrote this is response to that abortion post from before .... although the post made no clear sense it got me thinking about this.  I have seen many times the "war" on pro-life pro-choice but yet i have never seen anyone with the answer that i have been told by many members of my family who our pro-choice.  I don't believe this answer is right or wrong i just wonder if other pro choicer's believe this or what your opinions are on this topic.

Some religions that believe in G-d Don't believe that a fetus has a soul.  Some people believe that a baby is not actually a human being with a soul until it breathes its first breath of air.  When the newborn breathes the first breath of life it is believed by some to then "receive" it's soul and at the point is considered a living breathing human being.  I was raised "Jewish" (went to a Jewish day school and attended an orthodox temple till i was 16).  Abortion was definitely not talked about as a good/morally correct thing but, i was taught that it was an option that every women deserved to have the choice to make.  Abortion in this sense is not murder if you believe this interpretation. with that said im not saying its the right or wrong way to think.  I am pro choice but i did become pregnant at 19 years old and with much controversy from my family i decided that i did not feel right with an abortion.  Even though my hole family went on to tell me how the "Jewish religion"views abortion. My point here is not to say  weather abortion is  right or wrong just that my family as Jews are religious AND we believe in G-d but we also in ways promote abortion. Is it wrong ? i Don't really know but i believe that know one really knows what religion is right or how life came to be.  I think that because of this every religion or lack there of has a right to be heard and practiced. I also believe that know one has the right to tell a women whether she can have an abortion or not.   

just looking for opinions on this view 

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missdani08
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I believe they do. I think they already have lil personalities too. My dd use to kick me at night and i would poke her back and we would have like a lil war and now SO on the other hand i will poke him back and he stops its like he is shy. Also he will be sleeping or resting whatever he is doing but not kicking and ill rest my hands on my tummy hard enough so it makes a sound and it makes him jump lol. I think hell come out and be a more shy reserved baby unlike my dd who loves everyone and is the life of the party.

I just believe babies come into our lifes for a reason. I believe my dd was here to "save" me so to speak. there has to be reason she is here she came into my life when i was 16 and everyday she makes me a better person. Agree to disagree but dont bash me cuz this is the way i view my children my babies.

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I believe that they sure do! In my religion we believe the soul and life begin at conception, we also baptize, thats why we believe the crime of abortion is so great because not only are you killing a person with a soul but also robbing that person of the right to be baptized.

ETA, Q for OP: So in the Jewish faith abortion is technically OK? Why do the Orthodox Jew's have the curly cues of hair on the side of their face? Sorry I dont know any Jewish people to ask this Q.

jenniepepsi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM

my beliefs may not be widely shared. but I believe so, because of what Jesus has told us. several times he has said it in the bible. but the best verse i have found on it, is this.

Jeremiah 1:5 God knows and loves us while we are still in the womb.

This tells me that even a 'fetus' is one of Gods children. And his love does not start at some magic number randomly chosen by man to say when that 'fetus' is a child.

not everyone will agree with me...but that is what i believe.

2gud2btrue
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:36 PM

no i dont believe they do.   

butrflyekises

Quoting missdani08:

I believe they do. I think they already have lil personalities too. My dd use to kick me at night and i would poke her back and we would have like a lil war and now SO on the other hand i will poke him back and he stops its like he is shy. Also he will be sleeping or resting whatever he is doing but not kicking and ill rest my hands on my tummy hard enough so it makes a sound and it makes him jump lol. I think hell come out and be a more shy reserved baby unlike my dd who loves everyone and is the life of the party.

I just believe babies come into our lifes for a reason. I believe my dd was here to "save" me so to speak. there has to be reason she is here she came into my life when i was 16 and everyday she makes me a better person. Agree to disagree but dont bash me cuz this is the way i view my children my babies.

i don't disagree i do remember poking my DD and playing music for my belly to see her reaction it was amazing and wonderful especially my last month pregnant i was in the hospital and very bored and lonely that is when i really got to know my baby in my belly lol.  also i do believe my DD is ment to be here and i don't know were i would be right now with out her.  i was 19 and on a path to know were good, she totally changed my world.  But anyway when i told my family i was pregnant they ALL  pushed for an abortion bc of the reasons i have said in this post but it did not feel right in my heart.  but maybe other women who have choice abortion on there own felt something diffrent in ther heart and maybe they were right also? just like you and i felt so strongly about keeping are baby's maybe other women felt strongly it was not the right time 

NadiasMommy427

yes they do 

savedbygrace316
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM

With this question there are no answers only opinions.

CafeMom Tickers 

paganbaby
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Yep they sure do. I`m still pro-choice though.

paganbaby
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Wait, so does that mean that aborted babies go to Hell?

Quoting Supervane:

I believe that they sure do! In my religion we believe the soul and life begin at conception, we also baptize, thats why we believe the crime of abortion is so great because not only are you killing a person with a soul but also robbing that person of the right to be baptized.

ETA, Q for OP: So in the Jewish faith abortion is technically OK? Why do the Orthodox Jew's have the curly cues of hair on the side of their face? Sorry I dont know any Jewish people to ask this Q.

ahappymommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM

We are not bodies with souls, we are souls with bodies and I believe that a fetus is already a soul with its body!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)