Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I tell him I don't want him to walk me down the aisle?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM
  • 7 Replies

My dad has always been in and out of my life.  He calls once every few years and then I'll see him regularly for a few months and then he's gone again, it's always been like this.  It's always been his decision, right now he's back in.  My fiance and I were originally planning on getting married in Hawaii but decided last week to do a local wedding and save ourselves some money.  I hadn't really even planned on telling my dad but we live in a small town and he already found out about it.  So he called this morning and said " Oh good, I get to walk you down the aisle now."  I dont want him to.  I just think that you have to do more than donate the sperm to get that privilege.  How do I tell him without being a bitch? 

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
supermom3806
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I'm not sure how to tell him sorry I had the same relationship with my dad. I never told him when I was getting we just went to the court house of course he found out && called me right after we got done && freaked out but he was never there for me so why would he then but then I lost him last year in Feb. && now I wish I could go back && redo time it just hurts. I hope you find a way that works out for you guys. Sorry I'm no help

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Maybe this is your Dad's way of wanting to be closer to you and actually giving you something back for all of his absence.... Just consider that for a brief minute, and it may not be that bad to have him walk you down the aisle.

If you really are not comfortable with the idea, bring it up gently say something along the lines of - Dad in modern weddings and the type of wedding I want, the Bride walks down the aisle by herself. Then maybe make a quick recovery by saying don't worry Dad everyone there will know your are father of the bride and you will get to sit at the very front!

Mommy2_two
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Are you walking by yourself or is someone else walking you?

mellissacook
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM

My bio dad was like that too, in and out of my life. I had a step dad that was part of my life, I had my mom and step dad walk me down the aisle and my bio dad and step mom walked behind us...or ahead, I dont remember.

Chandra034
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I'm walking by myself.

Quoting Mommy2_two:

Are you walking by yourself or is someone else walking you?

Chandra034
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Quoting Supervane:

Maybe this is your Dad's way of wanting to be closer to you and actually giving you something back for all of his absence.... Trust me it's not.  Once the wedding is over he'll disappear again. He just wants to do it for looks ya know?  Like it would make him look like a bad dad if he doesnt show up and do his part. Just consider that for a brief minute, and it may not be that bad to have him walk you down the aisle.

If you really are not comfortable with the idea, bring it up gently say something along the lines of - Dad in modern weddings and the type of wedding I want, the Bride walks down the aisle by herself. Then maybe make a quick recovery by saying don't worry Dad everyone there will know your are father of the bride and you will get to sit at the very front!  I like that, thanks.

erinbills
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Tell him you dont want to be given away and plan to make they trip down the aisle on your own, and sorry if that hurts your feeling but it is my wedding and my choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)