Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my son normal?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:13 PM
  • 16 Replies

My 20 month old has started a daily habit of SCREAMING HIS HEAD OFF if he doesn't get something he wants. It's every day, several times a day. I tell him no when he does something he's not supposed to, and I dont give in when he wants something that he cant have (like if im drinking coffee, he'll want it, ill give him water or milk instead, but he screams and refuses)The other day he threw a CRAZY 30 minute tantrum because he wanted a can of orange soda that was sitting on the counter. We give him little sips of things like that every once in a while, so we don't deprive him. It's not just food though, he will mess with our blinds or take something he's not supposed to or sneak into the kitchen if we have the gate open for two seconds, etc. I don't feel that I can really discipline him because he's so young, but I wonder if this yelling and screaming all the time is normal. I'm a little worried bc I yell at his dad a lot (nothing crazy, just raising my voice), I wonder if he learned it from me.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nyokah
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:15 PM

It only gets worse

petiteNprego
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Quoting Nyokah:

It only gets worse

not always! it depends on the kid, but ya hes normal, are all kids like that, no, but they do call it the terrible 2s for a reason

Pnukey
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Yeah, it's normal. He wants to see what will Mommy do if he screams his head off. When mine did that, I would scoop him up, drop him on his bed (lovingly of course) and tell him to come out when he was done. Now, he's 4 1/2 and runs to his room when he feels like screaming. 

katie2007709
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM

At 20 months old he is testing you..  its like early terrible 2's welcome!!

Here is what I do with my daughter, she turned 2 in october and when she starts screaming because she doesnt get what she wants, we put her in her crib she can scream in there; we leave her in there for about 2-3 minutes 4 minutes max.  Then if she still doesnt want to stop screaming or be nice she goes back in.  Sometimes she gets a swat or two on the diaper hard enough to feel but not hard enough to hurt her then goes in time out for another 2 minutes but it normally doesnt go that far after the first 3 min she is fine says sorry and moves on.

The biggest and hardest thing is DONT GIVE IN, he will know he won!

LaurenMichele
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Yes... my son is almost 20 months and does this everyday. It's usually when he's hungry, so I try to get his breakfast ready before he wakes up... which his hard because I like to sleep as long as possible. Don't blame yourself for his screaming, it's just his temperament. I can only suggest being calm, walking away from the tantrum, and when he's done, offering him something he can have instead. He wants your attention and thinks that you will give in if he keeps it up. I deal with tantrums 5x or more a day. It's insane and I feel like no one understands what I have to deal with. I try to make sure he's getting enough sleep (12 at night and 2 during the day) protein to stabilize his blood sugar and I don't give him any processed sugar because I feel like that might contribute to spikes in blood sugar which might make tantrums worse. By the way, I'm 16 weeks pregnant with another boy, so our 2 kids are almost the same ages : ) Do you know if you're having a boy or girl?

Lauren

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

OxbAbIebxO
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Sean does that and he is 15 months. If I lay him down to change his diaper he screams like I am killing him. If I take something from him he throws himself backwards on the ground (like so hard that I have to stand there because I know it's coming and if I don't he will smash his head on the floor). If I see him take something and I start to tell him "Sean can mommy have that back" or whatever, he runs and then slams it on the floor and runs some more. Bleh. He's a pain in my ass LOL. Oh well I love him =] I put him in timeout. I sit him in his pack and play with nothing in it and tell him he can come out when he calms down. He usually stops crying within 10 seconds of me putting him in there and I will leave him in for a little bit and then take him out and he is good until the next thing doesn't go his way.

I'm a "don't give a fuck what you think of my parenting style" kind of mom.

ErikaM27
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Well he's probably thinking if I scream I'll get what I want. I think you can put him in time out 2 minutes I think it would be good for him to start learning discipline or else you'll be dealing with this when he's 3-4 yrs old and by then it will be even harder to start because i made that mistake and let me tell you my 4 yr old was out of control. Now when he yells at me I will tell him no and gets a warning if he continues it's time out.

petiteNprego
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:34 PM

my son started to do this, but he hasnt in a long time, hes almost 2 now.  when he starts up, i pretend to cry and then he stops and hugs me and goes about his business

MixedCooke
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 2:51 AM

He has entered the Terrible Twos--totally NORMAL!

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 19, 2010 at 2:55 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world ofT errible 2's .  He is absolutely normal....it will only get worse before it gets better.  I would video tape his tantrums and then in  14/15 years you can blackmail him, (show videos  to his girlfriends) lol   You will  get through  this....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)