Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids are ALWAYS sick!!! *vent- long*

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM
  • 19 Replies

Well, it's 11pm and it's another night with a sick child. These past few months have been really trying on me... I thought maybe someone might have ideas on where to even start. I'm a mom of 2 (5 yr old boy, 2 yr old girl, and I'm 14 weeks pregnant with #3). Well, my kids have constant infections. My son had 2 sinus surgeries, adenoids out, & tubes at 19 months old after about 8 months on antibiotics, he tested positive for being antibiotic resistant. Well, since August, it has been back. He has had Chronic Sinusitis for a while. Despite all those antibiotics it never goes away. His tonsils recently have come to be a problem... they too, will not go down. He just got off a 20 day supply of Omicef and developed C. Diff. He is on week 3 of having the infection and is still having poop issues. He is on Flagyl, he has to take it for 4 more days. He went to the ENT Wednesday, they are tied because of the tummy infection. His tonsils need to come out, but they are trying to avoid antibiotics for now. He went to see an allergist Thursday, he goes this Thursday for his skin testing (couldn't do it last week, he was taking Claritin). His left leg is covered in ring worm. Right now, he is taking Flagyl, Claritin, Flonase, Lactinex, ring worm cream & using a Neti Pot. He still struggles... On other hand, my 2 year old has PNEUMONIA and a severe ear infection in her right ear, even the skin around it is inflamed and bleeding, she also has a sinus infection. We go back Wednesday for a recheck. She had RSV at 2 weeks old and it has been a constant battle with her lungs! She recently has been on antibiotics for about 8 weeks now. She is allergic to Penicillin, so we have done, Omnicef to Bactrim, she had a Rocephin shot last night. She takes Qvar twice a day as well as using Albuterol probably once or twice every week to two weeks, she is on Bactrim now, Flonase, Neti Pot and she's taking Lactinex for now, and ear drops.. Her stool is being tested for C. Diff as well, it has been mucus filled and since being around her brother. She is already behind on her immunizations, every well appt. she has an infection and they won't give them to her! She is going to the ENT on Monday. I feel like I have slept good in months, and being pregnant, it drags me down. We are having problems even doing every day things, my son has had to be out of school and I couldn't tell you the last time we have been to our church or even went out as a family. Maybe it's allergies, but antibiotics just don't work on my kids! Are they being over treated with antibiotics, but I feel we are at the mercy of doctors... even their doctor is overwhelmed on what to do with them. I keep thinking it's the weather or something, but this has been going on since day 1, constant infections that are inferring with every day life. Any ideas? Sorry, I had to vent in a safe place, it is really getting to me. Day after day is a new infection that just won't go away and a new doctor to . Not sure where to go from here?

Thanks and God Bless!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OxbAbIebxO
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM

hugsSorry I can't help at all that's alot to deal with. But here's a bump I hope someone has some advice for you.

I'm a "don't give a fuck what you think of my parenting style" kind of mom.

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:45 PM

bump

lilmom71
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Are your kids in school? Are you laid back about cleaning or are you a germicidal maniac?  Do your kids lay down in the water when they bathe? Kids can be over treated with anti-biotics and become resistant but their are other things that can also play into it.

danielsmommy2b
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM

My son is in private Kindergarten, there are 5 other kids in his class. My daughter has never been in daycare. I usually clean every 4 days or so (I mean really clean), but I disinfect daily, more so since the C. Diff showed up. No one smokes here, we have no pets. We rent a house, it was built in 2004, not sure about mold or anything?! They don't really stay in the tub for long, they lay down sometimes, but the tub is always clean. They have a humidifier in the room, mattresses elevated...

Quoting lilmom71:

Are your kids in school? Are you laid back about cleaning or are you a germicidal maniac?  Do your kids lay down in the water when they bathe? Kids can be over treated with anti-biotics and become resistant but their are other things that can also play into it.

judybant
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:54 PM

How long have you lived in your house? If it's since before the oldest was born, I'd bet my last dollar that you've got mold issues in that house. Something, somewhere is moldy... and you can't see where it is... Do you have a basement? is it "finished"? Like with drywall, etc...? You need to contact someone who knows how to test, and where to look.  (Behind wall boards in the kitchen, basement, and bathrooms... if there are bathrooms on a first or second floor, they should look at the drywall that's on any ceilings below these bathrooms...

I have a friend who had lived in her house for 3 years, (Brand-new built when they moved in) and she'd be a little sicker for longer periods every winter, when everything was closed up tight. finally, the 4th winter, she was at the ENT, and THEY asked about mold problems. Her reply was, "It's a brand new house! How can there be mold?" But she got it tested anyway... The contractors did not use the proper water-resistant and water proof materials in ANY of the 2 1/2 bathrooms... she had 2 little kids that would splash bath water ALL over the bathroom, and it would seap through the grout, and into the underlayment, and there you have it... black mold... the bathroom that the girls used was the worst, and because it was right next to the master bath, that was full of mold as well... lucky for HER it was within the 5 year home warranty period, and she sued them, and got it all replaced, PROPERLY, AND most of her remaining mortgage and all of her doctor bills were paid with the settlement.  

danielsmommy2b
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:57 PM

We have been in our house for 4 years. We rent a house built in 2004. It is a ranch on a slab. My son had has his surgeries 2 months before we moved here, so he was sick before this house...

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Have the doctors been testing for everything possible?  Because with all the meds they are constantly on, it seems like they're doing what they can to treat the symptoms but the actual problem that's causing all the issues has yet to be addressed.  And, like others have said, get the house tested for mold...I know your son had his surgeries before you moved in, but it doesn't hurt...better safe than sorry, you know? 

JCTVCBN
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Have you ever thought of taking your kids to an ND?

Have you looked into alternative cures?

I really believe that the reason your kids are always sick is because their little bodies are filled with so many toxins like all the drugs they are taking.

Their immune system is not strong enough (because of all the toxins) to do what it's supposed to do.

Drugs are only treating the problems, but they do not treat the CAUSE which is why they always seem to be sick.

Plus, drugs can cause so many more problems.

And, I truly believe that the vaccines will only burden their little bodies more and will cause many more problems to their already weakened immune system.

IMO, I wouldn't get them vaccinated at all.

Please look into taking them to an ND.

Here is some info:

http://www.naturopathic.org/content.asp?contentid=60

I do hope you are able to find the answers you are looking for.

lilmom71
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Quoting danielsmommy2b:

My son is in private Kindergarten, there are 5 other kids in his class. My daughter has never been in daycare. I usually clean every 4 days or so (I mean really clean), but I disinfect daily, more so since the C. Diff showed up. No one smokes here, we have no pets. We rent a house, it was built in 2004, not sure about mold or anything?! They don't really stay in the tub for long, they lay down sometimes, but the tub is always clean. They have a humidifier in the room, mattresses elevated...

Quoting lilmom71:

When I was little I was constantly getting ill.  Pneumonia, ear infections, etc.  The doctor told my mom that she was actually keeping the environment so clean that when a germ hit I was easily infected.  My immune system needed to be built up.  You have to let the body defend itself before resulting to antibiotics.   I was also told that water directly in the ear was never good and could cause ear infections he suggested cotton swabs in the ears at bathtime with vaseline to prevent water from going into the ear canal or ear plugs.  

burch731
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM

I dont have any advice on what the problem might be I just wanted to tell you that I am very sorry & I know how frustrating it can be to be shuttled from Dr. to Dr. trying to figure out what is wrong with one of your babies ~ we did this for a year with my youngest son because of his extremely small size & his inability to grow no matter how many steriods & extra calorie boosters they had him on the first year.  It wasn't until we finally found one really great Dr that actually knew what tests to run on him before they figured out that he has a rare type of dwarfism (Pituitary Dwarfism).   Once we knew what the problem actually was & they put him on the correct treatments (HGH injections daily) did he finally start to develop enough muscle that he finally learned to walk at almost 16 months old & he finally started to grow & even out his size some & although he will always be a small person (obviously) he is now strong enough to run, play & jump around & act wild with all the other kids although he will never be as big as his peers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)