Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter is sick...I need suggestions!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 5 month old is really sick.  None of my kids have ever been as bad as she is right now.  My two boys have been sick all week but I think because they are older it effected them differently.  They both ended up with ear infections and one of them has a cough but my five month is TERRIBLE.

I gave her tylenol a couple hours ago...benadryl about 1/2 hour ago.  Put in the bathroom with steam, gave her saline drops, tried to suck her boogers out, she has a humidifier.  Is there anything else I can try?  Even natural remedies.  I do a lot natural remedies that work with my boys but she too little for those.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4munchkinmommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I would take her into urgent care or her peditrician first thing in the morning.

But, for tonight, I'd try to give her a warm bath, then wrap her up in a blanket (or something to keep her warm) and just rock her until she falls asleep. The benedryl should help her, and hold her over until in the morning when she can get to a doctor.

I hope she feels better soon!

savedbygrace316
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM

My DS has been sick.  I bought him some baby vapor bath and it seems to help.  I also put vapor rub on his feet with socks over them.  Doing these things help him sleep better.

CafeMom Tickers 

danielsmommy2b
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM

My 2 year old has asthma (right now, she has pneumonia)... I take her outside twice a night. I sit on our front porch for about 10 minutes... I bundle her up and take her out. The air usually calms her down... or my doctor said to open the freezer and let her breathe that.... good luck hun! Hope she feels better!

yayay15
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Thanks!  I actually took her to urgent care twice this weekend!  We do have an appointment in the morning too!  I just feel sooo bad for her..

Quoting 4munchkinmommy:

I would take her into urgent care or her peditrician first thing in the morning.

But, for tonight, I'd try to give her a warm bath, then wrap her up in a blanket (or something to keep her warm) and just rock her until she falls asleep. The benedryl should help her, and hold her over until in the morning when she can get to a doctor.

I hope she feels better soon!

yayay15
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I think we have the vapo rub..I just need to find it!  Thank you!

Quoting savedbygrace316:

My DS has been sick.  I bought him some baby vapor bath and it seems to help.  I also put vapor rub on his feet with socks over them.  Doing these things help him sleep better.

yayay15
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM

That's a good idea..I'll try it now!

Quoting danielsmommy2b:

My 2 year old has asthma (right now, she has pneumonia)... I take her outside twice a night. I sit on our front porch for about 10 minutes... I bundle her up and take her out. The air usually calms her down... or my doctor said to open the freezer and let her breathe that.... good luck hun! Hope she feels better!

KatelynsMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM

The only other thing I can think of is to elavate the head of her crib.. just stick a pillow or rolled up blanket under the matterss. With all the other great things you have already done, if may help keep things from staying in her nose and throat. They make those little nonmedicated vapor plug things too.. but im not sure what the minimum age on them are. They have worked well for my 3 year old in the past though.

ginger813
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Just be careful with vapor rub though. My DD's both have sensitive skin, and get terrible rashes from that, so I can't use it for them, but I know not all kids have that problem, just be careful. Vapor bath works great though, and you can get it at the dollar store! I hope she starts feeling better soon. It really sucks knowing your kids are sick and you can't take it away.

Quoting savedbygrace316:

ginger813final

yayay15
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:43 PM

What is vapor bath?

Quoting ginger813:

Just be careful with vapor rub though. My DD's both have sensitive skin, and get terrible rashes from that, so I can't use it for them, but I know not all kids have that problem, just be careful. Vapor bath works great though, and you can get it at the dollar store! I hope she starts feeling better soon. It really sucks knowing your kids are sick and you can't take it away.

Quoting savedbygrace316:

Butterfly200821
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM

It's like bubble bath that has Eucaliptus(sp) and stuff in it to help clear out the nasal passages. And there's no age requirement on the the little plug-in things, but you have to change the little vapor strip in them every night. Good Luck and I hope your daughter feels better soon :)

Quoting yayay15:

What is vapor bath?

Quoting ginger813:

Quoting savedbygrace316:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)