Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I forward faced my infant at 10 months!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:42 PM
  • 30 Replies

Yes, it's true...but I want to do better for this coming baby, so I need input.

I didn't RF my DD to the min, let alone the max.  I was young and stupid.  I'm not yet decided on ERF, but I want to AT THE VERY LEAST, go to the min this time.  I probably will ERF now that I know better though.

This is the carseat I'm thinking about for this baby.

What do you think?  Yes/No?  Pros/Cons?  TY!

Graco - Snugride 32 Infant Car Seat, Zurich

Graco's Zurich SnugRide 32 Infant Car Seat, holds child up to 32 lbs and 32" tall which helps keep your child rear facing longer. This seat has been engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed US standards. Other great features include 5-point front adjust harness, harness covers, removable infant head support, comfortable carrier handle, 180° rotating canopy with peek-a boo window, and EPS energy absorbing foam.
  • Rear facing for infant 5 to 32 lbs and up to 32" - fits 97% of one year olds
  • Convenient, stay-in-car adjustable base
  • Integrated belt lock-off eliminate the need for a locking clip
  • Base with one-hand dial adjustment helps ensure proper installation angle
  • Removable infant head support cushions head and neck
  • Soft harness covers keep Baby comfortable
  • 180° rotating canopy with peek-a-boo window helps shade your child from any direction
  • Easy-to-read level indicator helps ensure correct installation
  • Uniquely designed carrier handle so you can carry it more comfortably
  • Easily snaps into most Graco Strollers
  • Deluxe seat cushion provides premium comfort and is machine washable
  • LATCH equipped for easy installation
  • It's $148.88 @ Walmart.com.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnant with or TTC a July/August 2010 baby?  IF SO, come join us at Due July/August 2010!!!  June and September mommies welcome too!  Can't wait to see you there!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:42 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    amayabrianna
    by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Don't know too much about infant seats sorry. But if you changed your title you would probably get more responses....Just saying!! 

__Pro_Choice_is_NOT______stamp_by_T.gif Pro Choice not Pro Abortion image by croatoan5376ifyoucant30.jpg pro choice image by karmaschaos3756f1d9.jpg menstruation is murder! image by karmaschaosPro-choice.gif Pro choice image by Treehugger30

thextended-rear-facing.gif image by MommabunchCopyofFinalcarseatblinkie.gif image by Mommabunch

amayabrianna
    by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Yeah that title will probably work better!!! 

__Pro_Choice_is_NOT______stamp_by_T.gif Pro Choice not Pro Abortion image by croatoan5376ifyoucant30.jpg pro choice image by karmaschaos3756f1d9.jpg menstruation is murder! image by karmaschaosPro-choice.gif Pro choice image by Treehugger30

thextended-rear-facing.gif image by MommabunchCopyofFinalcarseatblinkie.gif image by Mommabunch

wells75904
    by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I dunno much about the infant seats, and no ERF here, but here is a bump for ya :)

Need Help Saving Money? Check out 

Frugal and Thrifty Moms-This group is a place to come to get recipes, advice, to chat, have fun, let your hair down and talk about cooking, recipes, budgeting, menu planning, and all things related to making our households run more smoothly.
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugal_And_Thrifty_Moms

serioussifL
    by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I didnt have that specific model, but I did have a Graco seat and loved it. I used it until about 11 months when she outgrew it. Its easy to get in and out of the car, and also to install the base. Only thing is, as they grow older the carseat gets extremely heavy... but thats a given and unavoidable.

I am a breastfeeding and formula feeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
    disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
    and love my husband
    Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

darcibeisheim
    by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I don't know about the graco snugride 32 too much. I have the graco snugride (the regular one that goes to 22 pounds). My son is still using it and only weighs 18 pounds but the carseat itself is heavy! I could not imagine carrying around a 32 pound baby in the carseat.

Photobucket

MommaBunch84
    by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:54 PM

This is a good seat. Have you thought about maybe skipping the infant carrier and buying a convertible seat that will last from birth until about 5 or 6yrs old? Then all you would have to buy after that is a booster seat.

I'm Ashley! I'm 25 & married to my high school sweetheart Chris. Together for 8 1/2 yrs now. We have 2 1/2 yr old blue eyed, blonde curly haired fraternal twin boys, Mason & Connor. Who Rear Faced to the Max & now will be Harnessed to the Max! I am a SAHM and a proud Child Safety Passenger Advocate (CPSA). Have car seat questions? PM me or join the Car Seat Safety Group HERE.

mama2mycuties
    by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Graco are good infant seats...I've been looking at them myself for our dd due next month but after reading a post in the car seat safety group about anti-rebound and seeing videos about it I'm deciding between a few others now........the options for antirebound on infant seats are:

Britax Chaperone http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-chaperone-infant-car-seat-red-mill.html

Britax Companion

Chicco Key Fit: http://www.albeebaby.com/chicco-keyfit-30-infant-car-seat-fuego.html

Combi Shuttle: http://www.albeebaby.com/combi-shuttle-infant-car-seat-papaya.html

The Key fit and shuttle are around the same price as the seat you have listed....the britax a little more.......all come in diff. patterns than what the examples are I've shown.

I'm not a tech so I don't want to explain and come off wrong about how the anti-rebound works but if you join the car seat group you can find the entire post made by techs in the reference library forum.

Hope this helps! And good for you for researching further! Oh or you could also look at using a convertible from birth as the others have recommended.......I considered that also, our baby will probably be moved into a convertible around 6mths.

jrp0606
    by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:00 AM

The Graco infant carrier is an awesome seat and fairly safe choice.   Its easy to install easy to use and is going to last a while.

I will be honest though and I presonally would not buy it just because I feel there are better seats.

Would you consider using a convertible from birth?

There are some AWESOME convertibles that can take your from birth too booster age for the same price as an infant carrier. 

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

petiteNprego
    by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:03 AM

my son was 5 months when i got into a bad car accident and get this.....gasp....he was in the front seat!  oh yes.....bring on the bashing....but this is because i had a truck, and it did not have a back seat so he was in the middle and it was a graco rear facing, that thing saved his lil life, i got hurt bad, but he ...not a scratch, he has bad night terrors STILL and hes almost 2, but not one scratch, i swear by graco

MommaBunch84
    by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:09 AM

You don't have to be defensive. Its okay. Its a truck with no back seat. Where else would you put the baby? No bashing here :) I'm glad your son was safe!

Quoting petiteNprego:

my son was 5 months when i got into a bad car accident and get this.....gasp....he was in the front seat!  oh yes.....bring on the bashing....but this is because i had a truck, and it did not have a back seat so he was in the middle and it was a graco rear facing, that thing saved his lil life, i got hurt bad, but he ...not a scratch, he has bad night terrors STILL and hes almost 2, but not one scratch, i swear by graco

I'm Ashley! I'm 25 & married to my high school sweetheart Chris. Together for 8 1/2 yrs now. We have 2 1/2 yr old blue eyed, blonde curly haired fraternal twin boys, Mason & Connor. Who Rear Faced to the Max & now will be Harnessed to the Max! I am a SAHM and a proud Child Safety Passenger Advocate (CPSA). Have car seat questions? PM me or join the Car Seat Safety Group HERE.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)