Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Home Study with CPS, anyone?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone ever dealt with CPS? I have temp. guardianship of my 3 nieces because their mom and dad don't want to be parents. And well on Sunday they are coming to my house to do a home study has anyone done this before? (probably not? lol maybe just me :(  just want to be prepared. Thanks!

by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama310583
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:26 AM

bump

ashley2010
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Ok during a home study they will come in and see how much room you have in your home. they will look at the house to see if it is suitable and they will talk to you and your hubby or whoever and they will ask you how you discipline and ask about your work and income. IM not sure everything they do, but that is usually what they do.

mom2four1978
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:28 AM

The ladies in this group should have all  the info you need.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3104/forums/3104/General_Discussion

~ LIZZY~

To find out what all the fuss is about click the heart:

mrs_skittles
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM

my 2 year old thought it would be awesome to climb into her huge toy box. then she slipped and fell and broke her leg. yeah... at 2 years old.

they came out the next day (even though the doc sided with us.. they have to come out on stuff like that, its their job).

as far as i know a "home study" might just be an inspection. see if your house is safe, if you have food etc.. or it could be to see how you interract. if they told you about it ahead of time, and its not just them showing up on your door step i wouldnt be too worried.

SweetMama823
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Ok Thank You! 

alexa_n_mommy
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Just make sure home is clean. Plug protecters on any outlets they can touch (depending on how old.) No dishes in the sink when they come by, everything is picked up except toys if they are playing but just make sure the house looks decent and you act like you usually would. If you're nervous give yourself a slap on the face. lol jk

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
dolphinhj
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM

We had 2 home studies done when we adopted our son.  One when we first brought him home and them one about 3 months later.  The first one the lady asked a million questions about everything from our house to our jobs to our savings plans for school.  The she walked around the house and checked out his bedroom and all the other rooms in the house.  Checked around our house and our backyard...pretty much looked at everything from top to bottom.  Then  on the second one she came by to pretty much see how Dylan was doing.  He was great, so she was only there a short time the second time around.  Good luck:)

mrsjones2207
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Yes, Ive had 2 due to adopting my kids. they will give you a packet to fill out (financial, BG checks, etc).  they will want to see where the kids sleep and they will also check all the other rooms in the house. makesure things are childproof and no fire hazards.

Mylesbaby boyMykailahbaby girlMykahbaby boy

Distributor of Young Living Essential Oils and Supplements

SweetMama823
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Good Info Thanks ladies!!!

proud-mother-four-kids.gifpreemie-prince.giftexas.gifi-love-my-boys.pngmommy-to-a-pretty-princess.png

allurasmamma
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM

DON"T BE TOO Scarred....it is easy to pass this test. Just make sure that all dangers are out of sight. Make sure that each kid has a bed. And food and utilities are on and you should be good.

People get all nervous, with reason, about this happening, but i swear to you , they are not going to nit pick.

All my love, All my life.

Madison,clayton,allura.

All my love, All my life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)