Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Where do you live?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 4:56 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi, my name is Sarah.  My husband(Ben) and I are looking to move somewhere new.  We have three children under 5.  Right now we live in NH and we want to leave New England.  We want some place open to interracial families, with great school systems and affordable rent.  I need your help...
Where do you live and why do you love/hate it?
I am looking forward to your experiences!!
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IreneS
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 5:09 PM
Hey there ..........if your looking for affordable rent don't come to Califonia (Bay Area) The gas prices are outragious (3.31$ a gallon) and the rent is high ( I pay 1050 for a 2 bedroom duplex and that's good) ! The traffice is pretty bad too!

BUT this is a very diverse area that is probably used to seeing inter racial couples more than same race couples! Most anywhere you go in the bay area you find that people are open. Depending on the city the schools are awesome!

Every area has there problems, I do Love where I live and I not sure if I could live anywhere else ( I get home sick on vaction) ! Good luck with your search !

Irene
two_dark_eyez
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 5:11 PM
I live in Missouri ... here in Nixa gas is only 2.35 and the rent on our 2 bedroom duplex is 550 but it varies.  I love it here.  We have one of the best schools in the state.  Great neighborhoods.
keirstensmommy
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 5:16 PM
I live in West Frankfort, IL, but I was raised in Carterville, Illinois.  I would really recommend it for their school system, and they are pretty interracial.  They have a community college in the town, but it is sorta a small town, but growing.  However, they are right in the center of two larger towns, Marion and Carbondale.  Carbondale has Southern Illinois University, where there are obviously a wide range of different races.  Carterville's gas price is about $2.70 right now, and rent for a 2 bedroom apt., is roughly $500.  If you want more info. on it, just let me know.
ladyvamp5489
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 5:18 PM
I live in Eugene OR and love it!  I dont know what your take is on rent being low but here its anywhere from $500 -$1500 for a 3 bedroom depending on the area of town!  as far as interracial families they will fit right in!  Most everyone here is friendly and even the teens are great(most of them)!The schools are good too!  Im not saying its perfect , we do have our share of problems but  its alot better than where i came from!  I have been here 2 yrs and love it!
shanna7313
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 5:19 PM
I live in Fort Walton Beach Florida. The area is nice. There are interacial families and they are accepted. Prices are not too bad, but real estate keeps going up so I would move soon. We are on the gulf, and the water is absolutly amazing. We are really close to Destin Fl which is amazingly beautiful. And shopping is great! Also, I have gone from elementary to college here and I love the schools. The city is small and comfortable and about an hour away from a bigger one, but still not too big.  its a great place for kids and families
Jacemommy31506
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 5:26 PM
I live in Wilmington NC, a lot of people move her from up north, ALOT! I have lived here my whole life, i love it. Its a beach town, and a college town, its very small in proxmity but very big population for the size. And its starting to expand in growth in the surrounding counties like leland, and pender county, and hampstead. The rent here is kind of high but not like Cali or FL or NY, but in the surrounding areas its not bad. My son is not school age but i grew up here and i can tell u i think the school systems are good.  There is downtown which is very historic, lots of old mansions and such. The cape fear river runs thru downtown. We live closer to the beach side of town tho. As far as the negatives, traffic sucks cuz of the roads not being made for this to be a large town, 20 years ago this town was COMPLETELY different, it was wayyyyyyyy smaller. And i wish we had outlets but other than that its a great place to live!Oh yeah and there are lots of interraciel couples here, no one seems to care, u shouldnt care what people think either!
Tiffani-ny
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 5:50 PM
We live in Orange County. Its very nice but you better get a house because there is no rent control! The gas is high, and there is a lot of traffic. I know a great place to live Carmel,Ca. Seal Beach,Ca. Not San Diego it got bad! Anaheim Hills,Ca. Long Beach is pretty but there alot of crime. Murrieta,Ca. is so nice a family town! A liitle warm. Colorado,Ca. is nice for family's but not if your a city person! Las Vegas is great but it gets so Hot you have to hide in the house or your a/c car,ext. Whittier,Ca. Not somewhere I would want any body to live! Holly Wood,Ca. is nice alot of traffic high prices and not as nice as they make it on T.V. They only show the good parts. This is Tiffani-ny from the O.C. Have a good one!
ARayTTC
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 5:52 PM
I live in Flintstone, Georgia which is pretty much Chattanooga, Tennessee and I think it is great.  My husband grew up here and I am from Virginia and I know we will live here forever!  Chattanooga is very diverse and there are lots of things to do.  We have some great schools in the area including colleges.  I highly recommend you check it out.  We are only an hour and a half from Nashville, Tn, Atlanta, Ga. and Knoxville, Tn so you are close to some great areas.  And the weather is pretty great here also, it doesn't get too cold in the winter and spring and fall are pretty awesome.  It gets hot in the summer but I like warm weather so I can't complain.  Just google Chattanooga and you will see what I mean. 
lkcupps
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 6:04 PM
I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma with my husband of nine years and my 3 children.  I am black and my husband is not.  We enjoy living here and even though you don't see interracial couples everywhere you look, there are quite a few here.   We have been here all our lives and haven't had much trouble at all. The gas prices are running about $2.65 a gallon and rent can run from $400 a month to $1200 depending on what part of town you want to live in.  There are several great schools to choose from depending on where you live.
sweet32147
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 6:08 PM
The Fox Valleys ( Appleton, Green Bay, and smal surounding towns) in WI are great.  People are very friendly and the school systems have been awarded many awards .  We also have no child left behind policy which helps raise awareness for our children in the schools.  Check it out, you'll love it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)