Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What is Widow's pay?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 8:49 AM
  • 17 Replies

What is widow's pay?

Is it from the goverment? Who gets this clearly a widow but do men get it to? Its just something I heard last nite at a party and I have never heard about it in my life.

ETA- I googled it and all I can find is nonsense. If my mom was awake I'd call and ask her...

by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
briansmommy7143
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Never heard of it either, but I'm assuming if women get it, men would too. Men can be widows just as well as a woman can. Hopefully, I never do know what it is....

support_leukemia.gif leukemia image by latin_grrrl

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I would hope so to! I just didnt know if it was goverment issued like food stamps or medicaid...

Quoting briansmommy7143:

Never heard of it either, but I'm assuming if women get it, men would too. Men can be widows just as well as a woman can. Hopefully, I never do know what it is....

firefly63701
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM

If your talking about what I think u are its social security you and your children would get if hubby dies.  I dont know if men would get it, maybe if wife was the breadwinner or if they were SAHD's.  Your children would get until 18 or 21 or until they grad. collage> dont know how long the widow will get it.

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Ok this helps... thats all brand new information to me. So does a person get it if they had life insurance or is it only for those who are low income.

Quoting firefly63701:

If your talking about what I think u are its social security you and your children would get if hubby dies.  I dont know if men would get it, maybe if wife was the breadwinner or if they were SAHD's.  Your children would get until 18 or 21 or until they grad. collage> dont know how long the widow will get it.

briansmommy7143
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:13 AM

OH, that is what my mom received for my sister & I when my dad passed away. We got it until we were 18. I didn't know it was called widow's pay though.

Quoting firefly63701:

support_leukemia.gif leukemia image by latin_grrrl

kk_bella
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Depends on what you are talking about. I am pretty sure the military has some sort of widows pay. If your husband (or wife) was the breadwinner then you would get their social security, I think.

firefly63701
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Not sure, if income would affect it or not.  I dont think insurance would.

Quoting Supervane:

Ok this helps... thats all brand new information to me. So does a person get it if they had life insurance or is it only for those who are low income.

Quoting firefly63701:

mnmsmom2008
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:17 AM

They were probably talking about survivor benefits from the government.  We get a statement every year that details the amount of money we've made each year that we've worked and the amount our family would get if one of us were disabled or died.

firefly63701
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I think its actually called Survivors benefits.

Quoting briansmommy7143:

OH, that is what my mom received for my sister & I when my dad passed away. We got it until we were 18. I didn't know it was called widow's pay though.

Quoting firefly63701:

Heather0816
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I think you are talking about survivors benefits, here is a like about them...http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10084.html

Follow me to,  Army Wives Do It With Pride

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)