Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Has you child ever had a Swollen Upper Eye Lid ? what was the cause ?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 11:37 AM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Has your child ever had a swollen eye lid due to a cold or an allergy to something?

Options:

Yes, because of a Cold....Explain

Yes because on an Allergy...Explain

NO never

OTHER

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

Can you give allergy medicine to an 18 month old? and what type?

My 18 month olf daughter was rubbing her eyes so much yesterday, she then got a hive on her left upper eye lid.

It kept getting bigger.

I couldn't take it anymore. I gave her a bath, then I gave her 1/4 teaspoon of benadryl.

It got slighty better. But when she went to sleep and got up today, the other upper eye lid was now swollen.

I do NOT want to keep drugging her with benadryl. And I have no idea to what is causing her allergy or if it's a cold.

She's sneezing, coughing & now her other eye lid is swollen.

I read online it could be due to a cold or an allergy.

by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jgl3g
by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 11:40 AM

It sounds like your dd has pink eye. It is highly contagious and will spread if she rubs her eyes. warm tea bags help also wash her hands constantly and try to keep her from rubbing her eyes. I would not suggest giving her anymore benadryl as her body will begin to become amune to it and when she really does need it it will have no effect. Take her to the doc first thing and they can give her some eye drops to help clear it up.

Dimples79
by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Quoting jgl3g:

It sounds like your dd has pink eye. It is highly contagious and will spread if she rubs her eyes. warm tea bags help also wash her hands constantly and try to keep her from rubbing her eyes. I would not suggest giving her anymore benadryl as her body will begin to become amune to it and when she really does need it it will have no effect. Take her to the doc first thing and they can give her some eye drops to help clear it up.

I don't think it's pink eye, because the left eyelid got better with the benadryl but when she woke up the right eyelid got swollen..

I definitely have to take her to the dr, i wish they were open on weekends.

FDNYwife
by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM

yes my children have had a stye under their eye lid which can be very irritating.  Feel itchy, make the child want to rub rub rub.  It may not be pink eye or an allergy at all.  I would take them to the doctor to get the exact cause checked out though.  Warm compresses  and an occasional eye cream were all that has helped us.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Yes - if my son gets a bug bit even above his eyeybrow, his eye will swell up.

Every time it has happened (we live in buggy fl) we can't see the bug bite until the swelling goes down - so it appears as just a swollen eye.

mommywillU
by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

My daughter's eyelids were swollen like that too for several days and I didn't think it was pink eye either. But after a few days she did have pink where she didn't before. I felt so bad for her because even though they weren't crusty matted, she had gunk coming out of them. Sounds to me like a cold.

Heather0816
by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

It sounds as though it may be a sty. I would use a warm compress and take her to the Drs. if it doesn't go away.

Follow me to,  Army Wives Do It With Pride

Kestrel1
by on Jan. 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Quoting Dimples79:

Quoting jgl3g:

I don't think it's pick eye because the left eyelid got better with the benadryl but when she woke up the right eyelid got swollen..

I definitely have to take her to the dr, i wish they were open on weekends.

Sounds more like the beginnings of a stye than pink eye.  A stye can be caused by rubbing and pushing bacteria up into a tear duct, due to allergies and blocking the duct.  Hot compresses as hot as she'll tolerate, motrin and get in to the docs for an antibiotic better allergy meds.  With my oldest son we have a topical steroid creme we put in his eyes, to prevent and minimise the reaction that starts the process. 

crownedjewel
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I just took my 11 year old daughter to the urgent care clinic last night. She woke up in the morning and I noticed her left eye lid was puffy, but was very little crusting. Because she has a party to go to Sat., she flipped when I said she may be coming down with pink eye which she knows by now is contagious. It ws hard to tell since her "whites" were not red. I had her stay home from school and when I returned from work, the other lid looked swollen (these are top lids i'm referring to). She was adament on the phone to me at work the swelling looked like it was going down. Well, I knew better and took her to the clinic last night and what did they say? PINK EYE TO BOTH EYES. There's 2 types-viral and bacterial. One's cause by colds and allergies which is why he palpated her face around the eyes to see if there was a sinus infection going(to see if it was caused by a cold). He said " Come look at the lower lids mom. When I pull them down you can see how they look "beefy red" Right?" And when I looked, lo and behold, they were. I was focusing on the swollen lids too much! Well, he gave us a prescription for drops called POLYMYXIN B SULFATE and TRIMETHROPRIM.  I'm to place 1 drop to each eye FOUR times a day. I can only do that this weekend and when she goes back to school Monday, I'm to apply it 3 times a day. Now All of this started yesterday, which was friday and I got the medicine from the doctor's last night and gave one drop to each eye which with kids IS NOT EASY! Well, this morning, they look WORSE! She looks like she went a round or two with Mike Tyson! I gave the drops which was even harder to do and take a look at the pics I attached. This is all normal for a bad case of pink eye which she transferred eye to eye by rubbing. Wash your hand well before and after touching or applying meds to a childs eye to keep both of you safe. Good luck and I hope this helps!  PS- the left eye looks worse because she slept on it so it has "dents" in it which went aways about 20 mins after she woke up:-)

Audreysmommy123
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM

could be a stye in the eye lid.. i get them all the time.. or it could be from his cold.. Try giving him a bath.. and putting a warm wash cloth over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN