• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:07 AM
  • 6 Replies

Can you BF a baby who has to have tube feedings? Not like I could because I never got milk because I have hormone issues but I just wanted to know.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tishalb
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Well I guess it would depend on why the baby has to have tube feedings. Is it because an issue with swallowing, or is it an issue with it's digestive system. If it is an issue with swallowing than I don't see how you could. Digestive system, I would at least ask the doctors if you could give it a shot. My SIL found a company that can ship you breast milk. I know it sounded kinda crazy to me at first too. But it is breast milk from other women, it's pasturized and tested for everything. She couldn't pump enough to sustain her baby and really wanted her to have the benefits of breast feeding. Seemed to work, she is now a beautiful healthy almost 6 year old!!!

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM

do you mean that the baby HAD a tube into his tummy? or has one now? If he has a tube now I think he can only get food through that. I THINK. not sure. If the tube is gone and he is small enough he can learn to BF.

Honeybun09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I was able to BF when my DD was fed by tubes. She wouldn't eat from me or a bottle for the first week because she was jaundice and then got an infection. So while she was being fed through a tube, she was also on the breast, so she was suckling on me while suckling on the tube which was pressed against my nipple and breast.

Eventually she took the bottle with formula and breast milk but still refused to eat from me, no matter the amount of lactation consultants, nurses, WIC breastfeeding counselors, etc. I got to pump my milk in a bottle for the second of the two weeks I was able to "breastfeed." Unfortunately, my husband had just gotten laid off and we hadn't anticipated problems breastfeeding so before he got laid off, we didn't buy a pump. I got to rent one for free for those first two weeks but after that, I had to give it back and I couldn't afford a breast pump to continue giving her my milk. :(

Next time I will refuse the doctor of any kind of bottle introduction so she will eat from me.

I am a US citizen, formula feeding but will breastfeed until child self weans next time, co-sleeping, extended rear facing and harnessing to the maximum, God loving and fearing, anti-spanking and time-out, anti-CIO, wanting another baby but waiting, disposable diapering but will cloth diaper next time, training to be a child care assistant, natural family planning (no birth control AT ALL) mommy to one beautiful mixed baby girl!  My husband is a legal Mexican United States citizen, who is the most amazing man, husband, and father.

Have a Baby? Join us in the Babies group! ~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~

kk_bella
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Yes, with lots of time and practice, totally possible.

LollipopDream
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Quoting tishalb:

Well I guess it would depend on why the baby has to have tube feedings. Is it because an issue with swallowing, or is it an issue with it's digestive system. If it is an issue with swallowing than I don't see how you could. Digestive system, I would at least ask the doctors if you could give it a shot. My SIL found a company that can ship you breast milk. I know it sounded kinda crazy to me at first too. But it is breast milk from other women, it's pasturized and tested for everything. She couldn't pump enough to sustain her baby and really wanted her to have the benefits of breast feeding. Seemed to work, she is now a beautiful healthy almost 6 year old!!!

My son was tube fed because everything he ate he was asperating and was risking infection. Sadly I don't think I can ever BF if we have any more kids because I am lacking so many hormones and one I am lacking is the one that helps your body produce breast milk. My son is 3 now but I was asking because if there is ever a chance we can have another baby (I doubt it though we where lucky to have DS) I wanted to know what the options where for tube fed babies incase by chance we have another child with the same problem.

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Are you asking if you can put breast milk through a feeding tube? If so, the answer is YES!

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)