Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ANXIETY ATTACKS

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM
  • 10 Replies

Does anyone have them if so what are your symptoms and other than meds what do you do when they come on.I went to er chest pain lightly arm sore back hurt high anxietu.Dr said your heart sounds fine even though my pulse 88 and i feel thats high im havong pangs in my lefy breast.Dr said could be your acid reflux or your having a bad anxiety attack.i went home took meds but im noticing it right now.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tishalb
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:25 AM

I don't suffer from anxiety attacks but I have heard that the symptoms can immulate a heart attack. Maybe if you try going into a room, closing all noise out, sit and close your eyes and just focus on your breathing. Try as hard as you can to erase all the thoughts that are racing through your head.

MissAndrea125
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Ive had a couple anxiety attacks and talked to a couselor who told me to breathe slowly into my hands (cupped like you are breathing into a paper bag) deep breath in your nose, hold it a few seconds, out your mouth. 

Indianamomto4
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Hey I started having general anxiety disorder about 3 years ago after developing some nasty food allergies. I was hospitalized with an anaphylactic reaction and had to start trying to figure out what triggered it. I have to carry an epi pen with me everywhere. Well, I started being afraid to be alone, afraid to be in public, afraid to eat etc. When I am having anxiety I feel nauseated, I get really hot and dizzy and my heart races like crazy up over 130 pulse. I have an impending sense of doom and I have a hard time thinking clearly. I went to my doc saying I need something to stop this, They put me on zoloft not for depression but for the anxiety. I took about 6 wks to get the right dose, but it gave me back my life. Anxiety is awful.

Do you know what could have triggered them for you? I would be sure to get checked out and not just assume this is only anxiety. If you rule everything else out , think about med. for it because it is awful to live with and it can really affect your life. Good Luck. Kim

Kim mom of Zach, Emily, Jacob, and Sethknitting

kissyfur29
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Yes, The first thing you need to do is I know it is hard try to find something to relax you. I used to put on some water for herbal tea. Then you need to breathe. You can do that hands over the mouth or you could just take a deep breath hold it in for a count of 10 and release slowly, Just keep doing that for about 5 minutes. If that is not working try and find some soft music and sit in a chair and close your eyes and just listen to the music.

I am not sure what else to tell you. I have them and it is easier for me just to do these things.

gl.

twitchymom78
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:36 AM

i get the shakes, cry hysterically and hyperventilate. i find between the paxil and meditation, i can calm myself down. hypnosis works for me too. it helps in general.

chellejen
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:40 AM

I also suffer from anxiety attacks and I really wanted to figure out something I could do to control them without medicating myself.  I tried everything I could think of, but the anxiety caused from worrying about anxiety attacks was unbearable.  Finally, the doctor talked to me about xanax.  At first, I protested.  I didn't want to be the drugged up mother you see on T.V., but finally I gave in and it has been the best thing I could have done.  The best part is I rarely, if ever, have to take a pill.  It is enough for me just knowing I have them if I need them.  I was given 10 pills and I have had them for 6 mos.  I still have 6 pills.  :o)     Good luck and I hope you find something that works as good for you as this did for me. 

Chellejenwink mini

smfox
by Shannon on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:41 AM

I've never been diagnosed with it but I have had a few full blown anxiety attacks.  It is a terrible feeling!!!!  I've never been medicated for it but I was able to stop it by completely focusing on something else.  Or some times....for some reason for me, skin on skin contact with DH (I don't mean in a sexual way) usually makes it stop. 

PookaboosMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:45 AM

When I have an anxiety attack I start feeling a weird burning/tingling sensation in my arms, and them my legs, sometimes my whole body, I can usually stop it right there if I can calm myself.  Not recently tho, after that my arms start shaking and I have trouble breathing, my heart starts pounding and I have to go somewhere alone right away, because if anyone says anything to me I will just snap at them (I'm craZy, lol)  I go a breathe deep and try to settle myself down.  Lately I have been having a lot more of them, been stressed out a lot so I'm going back to Zoloft which controls them really well and helps with depression, my husband swears by the stuff. 

KrazyChick
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:46 AM

I have had anxiety problems for years.  I think it is heriditary.  It has gotten worse over the years, and it is definitely worse due to certain situations, like high work stress or if DH is in a bad mood.  Hormones also play a role.  About 3 years ago it got to the point that I was pacing in circles and I couldn't figure out what to do next.  Not good at all.  Really freaking out.  I took Xanax as needed for a couple of months, but it turned out to be a longer term issue. I moved on to Klonopin for 2 years, on a fairly low dose (0.5 mg, 2x per day) which worked wonders.  I was never one to like meds, but it was so bad, I caved.  I decided I didn't want to be on benzos, and that a low dose of an antidepressant might be in order, so I have been on 37.5 mg Effexor XR per day the last 4 months.  It really works well.  Like I said, I hate meds, but I tried all sorts of "natural" approaches, relaxation, therapy, 5-HTP, kava, supplements, teas, breathing, quitting my job.  I think it is heriditary (seratonin, norepenephrin, gaba imbalance, I think for me).  This is what has worked for me.  I would suggest researching meds and natural options and finding a good doctor and a good naturopath to figure out what will help you best.  Everyone is different.

ShutterBug4Life
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:55 AM

The first anxiety attack I ever had didn't feel like this, only an overwhelming sense of dread and fear. That one happened because I was trying to work 2 jobs the summer of 1998. But right after my youngest was born september 09, This is exactly how I felt. But since the symptoms didn't match I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I ended up in the er and left with a script for anxiety meds which I only needed until my generic zoloft started to kick in. I havent had one since that first month home. 

Quoting PookaboosMom:

When I have an anxiety attack I start feeling a weird burning/tingling sensation in my arms, and them my legs, sometimes my whole body, I can usually stop it right there if I can calm myself.  Not recently tho, after that my arms start shaking and I have trouble breathing and I have to go somewhere alone right away, because if anyone says anything to me I will just snap at them (I'm craZy, lol)  I go a breathe deep and try to settle myself down.  Lately I have been having a lot more of them, been stressed out a lot so I'm going back to Zoloft which controls them really well and helps with depression, my husband swears by the stuff. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)