• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

autism ?? kinda long

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM
  • 8 Replies

me and my step mom have been talking and i think im son is autistic. My step brother is and my son has some of the same sign as him. So i've been doing researching it and he has some sign but not alot. He is only 3 but it say it better to diagnosing it early is better?

here a list i found the thing highlighted in blue or symptoms  my son has..plus i wrote soething in that he does but  is not listed

Social skills

• Fails to respond to his or her name -he know his name is trever but will not allow any one to call him any nickname or even a boy. ex: he yell "i not  silly im trever"and get upset
  • Has poor eye contact -this happens sometime but not all
  • Appears not to hear you at times happend when he is playing or doing something
  • Resists cuddling and holding
  • Appears unaware of others' feelings
  • Seems to prefer playing alone — retreats into his or her "own world"- he will play in the same room as other kid but not with them

Language

• Starts talking later than other children -i dont know if it was late but didnt make a sentence tell after he was 2
  • Loses previously acquired ability to say words or sentences
  • Does not make eye contact when making requests
  • Speaks with an abnormal tone or rhythm — may use a singsong voice or robot-like speech------he does this alot of time he talk like a robot or tries to
  • Can't start a conversation or keep one going
  • May repeat words or phrases verbatim, but doesn't understand how to use them-- he repeats him self all the time.

Behavior

• Performs repetitive movements, such as rocking, spinning or hand-flapping
  • Develops specific routines or rituals
  • Becomes disturbed at the slightest change in routines or rituals
  • Moves constantly
  • May be fascinated by parts of an object, such as the spinning wheels of a toy car
  • May be unusually sensitive to light, sound and touch and yet oblivious to pain

plus he always want to clean his hand....
he lines up his cars,lego, block. and get extremly aggravated when there or moved.

I not sure if it just his age are autism. What do yall think. plus how did yall realize your child was autistic. Who did yall ask yalls doctor?  What kind test did they do?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
little.miss.mom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:30 AM

From what I know of autism it sounds like he has some of the signs. Talk to his pedi or the school district if you want him evaluated.

treversmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:35 AM

i been wanting to talk to his ped but he has mitlarty issuarnce from his dad so it an hour drive to his doc office on base so i have to wait til we have an apointment. and he not in school yet he turned 3 in dec.

Quoting little.miss.mom:

From what I know of autism it sounds like he has some of the signs. Talk to his pedi or the school district if you want him evaluated.

little.miss.mom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Schools have an early childhood intervention. My daughter is four and is going through the school for her speech therapy. My husband is military so we have tricare call the main 1-800 number and tell them you need your son evaluated for autism. They will find a psychiatrist in your area. This is what I'm doing with my son who is getting evaluated for aspergers.

Quoting treversmommy:

i been wanting to talk to his ped but he has mitlarty issuarnce from his dad so it an hour drive to his doc office on base so i have to wait til we have an apointment. and he not in school yet he turned 3 in dec.

Quoting little.miss.mom:

treversmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:40 AM

ok thanks i gonna check it out in the morning.

Quoting little.miss.mom:

Schools have an early childhood intervention. My daughter is four and is going through the school for her speech therapy. My husband is tricare call the main 1-800 number and tell them you need your son evaluated for autism. They will find a psychiatrist in your area. This is what I'm doing with my son who is getting evaluated for aspergers.

Quoting treversmommy:

Quoting little.miss.mom:

elly25
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I found out that my son had mild autism when he was two years old.You are very right though.The earlier that you find out.The earlier that you can help your child out.

Does your child still chew on things,lick things,or put his fingers/toes in his mouth?Do loud sounds scare him (like getting his hair cut with clippers or fire crackers going off)? 

owls

treversmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:05 AM

he chew on his shirt constantly. no he doesnt put his toes /fingers in his mouth (but he does like smelling feet lol i know weird right)

Yes he hate anything loud even the radio the car scares shim. he hate it and yell for it to be turned off but loves music when we are in the house. Every time a door slams( we live in an apartment complex) he jumps and ask what is that. Plus are fire-alarms are realy sensitive so every time we cook they go off and he starts crying.

Quoting elly25:

I found out that my son had mild autism when he was two years old.You are very right though.The earlier that you find out.The earlier that you can help your child out.

Does your child still chew on things,lick things,or put his fingers/toes in his mouth?Do loud sounds scare him (like getting his hair cut with clippers or fire crackers going off)? 

oporb
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:10 AM

He sounds fine to me..... but call your local public elementary school, they start evaluating at age three..... and they can start therapy or direct you where to go and its all free. He could have a speech delay or something....... regardless, getting someone to evaluate will either catch a delay/issue early or ease your mind that he's fine.

I know a big sign is if they do not respond when you call their name...... like ever, at all...... and you say he responds most of the time -- all kids ignore you sometimes!!! AND at that age a lot of kids still play alone, especially if he's an only child...... AND both of my kids went through a super annoying repete themselves 40 times phase at that age......

But might as well have the school check him out --- I don't trust doctors to make a true evaluation unless they can spend 30-60 minutes with the kid --- they said my ds was fine (not talking at all at 3) and when I brought to the school they said he was obviously delayed and started therapy immediately -- the difference is HUGE now - I'm sure he's going to be in speech therapy at least till he's 6...... so it was / is pretty bad - if I had trusted doctor, I'm sure he'd still not be talking

Julie132
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM

It does sound to me like he has signs of autism (or the milder form called Aspergers) or at tleast, Sensory Processing Disorder or issues.  The earlier you intervene, the better, and a lot of the interventions are the same for both disorders.

Here is the story of my son's journey into and OUT of autism!

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1466896/Matthew_s_Journey_Out_of_Autism

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)