Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kangaroo care

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:32 AM
  • 5 Replies

Did anyone else do this? My son is now 3 but I did this for the first 6 months of his life for 7 hours a day. It was wonderful.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Indianamomto4
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:41 AM

My youngest absolutely needed this the first 4 mos. of his life. He was 3 weeks early and weighed 5lb 9 oz. He had the strongest startle reflex I've ever seen and was only content being held, worn in a sling or nursed. We even slept together on my couch for 4 mos. He was my 4th baby and I never thought I would sleep with one of mine, but he truly needed it. He cried EVERY time he was out of our arms and car rides were a night mare! It wasn't colic because as long as we held or wore him he never even fussed.

Then at 4 mos I was able to begin lying him down in a crib and he would be content playing on the floor, or sitting in a swing. From then on he was still very cuddly but we didn't have to do the kangaroo care. I think some kids just need this and you do what your baby needs.

Kim mom of Zach, Emily, Jacob, and Sethknitting

LollipopDream
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Quoting Indianamomto4:

My youngest absolutely needed this the first 4 mos. of his life. He was 3 weeks early and weighed 5lb 9 oz. He had the strongest startle reflex I've ever seen and was only content being held, worn in a sling or nursed. We even slept together on my couch for 4 mos. He was my 4th baby and I never thought I would sleep with one of mine, but he truly needed it. He cried EVERY time he was out of our arms and car rides were a night mare! It wasn't colic because as long as we held or wore him he never even fussed.

Then at 4 mos I was able to begin lying him down in a crib and he would be content playing on the floor, or sitting in a swing. From then on he was still very cuddly but we didn't have to do the kangaroo care. I think some kids just need this and you do what your baby needs.

I don't know if you had PPD or not but I noticed not only did it help my son but also helped with my PPD.

kk_bella
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Not exactly, I held both of them all the time and carried them in a sling.

My son was a weird baby, he disliked skin to skin contact when he was a newborn. He was born in the water, was and still is VERY content in the water. As soon as we took him out of the bath, he began screaming. He screamed for two hours as we were trying to nurse, did not stop until we said, hey, let's get him dressed, then he latched right on.

Indianamomto4
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I didn't really have PPD but I had a little bit of baby blues from time to time I think mostly because he was so needy. I remember how much nursing would relax me with the release of all those great mommy hormones:) I know kangaroo care was great for him and I mostly enjoyed it but would have maybe liked a little more sleep. lol

Kim mom of Zach, Emily, Jacob, and Sethknitting

nysa76
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:59 AM

I had two premies one at 32 wks and one at 31 wks.  We did kangaroo care with each of them.  I learned it in the NICU on our first bout there.  He needed it for the warmth, it helped regulate his temp much better than any artificial means, it worked for my daughter as well.  They also started nursing on their own during those times before the NICU thought they were ready.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
Mark Twain
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)