• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you help?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:33 AM
  • 12 Replies

What do you do to help the homeless and poor in the United States?  Do you donate money to charities?  Donate your time to organizations to help cook and deliver meals... or build houses or shelters?  Do you donate food items, clothing or furniture? Do you help individual people or families?  or work to help the homeless in your area as whole or across the nation?

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:34 AM

I built my home with Habitat for Humanity and I am paying it forward. I love working with Habitat.

anetrnlov
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:36 AM

We donate food, clothes and toys.  As the kids get older we are going to add in other things that involve them.

Kerfuffle
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Awesome!   Anyone else?

MixedCooke
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:52 AM

donate money and also clothing, etc.

kk_bella
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:55 AM

I donate clothing, food and anything else that I no longer want or need or cannot sell (or if I cannot get what I feel is a decent sale, I will just give it to charity instead).

I have worked in homeless shelters but haven't in quite a while. I work for a place called Cypress Area Ministries, in two departments. I sort through their donations- a position that every charity ALWAYS needs. They also have a ministry that gives aid to help people pay utilities or pay for clothing. I used to go there and help women who were leaving abusive relationships or coming clean for the first time find appropriate clothing for job interviews. I helped them learn skills like how to answer the phone, typing, using a computer (most of them had never used a pC before!) and doing pretend interviews.

I miss that, haven't been in a while.

maidenmouse
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Clothes and toys. I work with a nonprofit to benifit special needs children and and working on my own non profit for Cancer children. For Christmas I did Adopt a cancer kid for Christmas and got 64 presents one for every child at our oncology office. I also had 2 cancer families adopted and covered their whole Christmas. I love it

Proud mom of a hero battling cancer. Also a proud mom of my older kids that have been so tolerant of this life changing experience. www.caringbridge.org/visit/chunn Yesterday is history, tommorow is a mystery, today is a gift that is why we call it the present. 

Jewelzgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:59 AM
once a month, we donate a box of to a local food bank. we dont have much, so it takes a month for us to pull together a box. we had to use a food bank before, so this our way of giving back. during the holidays, we also donate to toys for tots and coats for kids.

lvnmylif
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:59 AM

We give food, clothing, toys and all kinds of things.  Once we are done using a household item we donate it.  We give for every single food drive clothing donation ect ect ect.  If it is something that is brought to our attention and we have extra we give.  Not thousands of dollars cash but we simply give throughout the year.  I doubt it goes to the actual homeless because we tend to give to women's shelters and a local charities that work with the disabled.

Kerfuffle
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:15 AM

It's so nice to hear about people doing what they can to help others.  I try to donate money when I can...   I always give something to St. Jude...  I also donate locally to shelters in my area.  Sometimes i think it is more important to donate time.  Money is great... but if you don't have enough helping hands to put that money to good use...    then...  what good is it,  you know?

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM

We donate clothes and blankets. We also have a chair sitting in the dinning room that is going with the big box my daughter filled the other day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)