Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do we care about Haiti NOW?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:36 AM
  • 8 Replies

I did not write this, but I agree. Bash away if you must. =/

http://leftofsean.com/?p=3220

I'm going to take a lot of shit for this post,

but I really don't care.  On Tuesday we got news of a devastating earthquake inHaiti, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.  Forty-eight hours later and I'm sick of hearing about it.  Why?  I'll tell you why: Because who fucking cares?

* (en) Haiti Location * (he) מיקום האיטי
Image via Wikipedia

Callous you say?  Sean, you're an as*****, how can you say that?  I'll tell you how I can say that.  Did you give one iota of a shit about Haiti until this earthquake hit?  Did you even know where Haiti was located until the news splattered the a map of the country on TV? 

They are the poorest country in the western hemisphere and live without basic necessities like an organized fire, police, or medical system.  I would imagine unemployment rivals most African nations where it hovers around 80%.  But did you ONCE think about them until this disaster?

We killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis in a senseless war an ignorant president got us into but I don't hear you rising up and helping those families!

What makes Haiti any different than the millions who are starving inAfrica?  What makes them any different than the 40 million in this country who have no health insurance?  Why would you send money to Haiti but NOT to people in the SAME FUCKING SITUATION who live inMississippi orAlabama or YOUR homestate?

Tragedy happens on a daily basis in this world.  Is it sad?  Yes.  Should we mourn for all of them?  Sure.  But I'm tired of the hypocrisy in this country and the rest of the developed world.  We all think our little piece of the pie is the tastiest but we fail to notice the rotting crust that is the billions of poor and needy throughout the world who deal with this kind of crisis daily.

Billions of dollars will flood into Haiti from this crisis.  Most of it will go into corrupt politician's pockets.  Why didn't we take that money and solve a crisis in this country?  Why didn't we take that money and solve the AIDS crisis in Africa?  Why didn't we use that kind of money to help insure 40 million Americans and help solve our health care crisis?

Haiti will still be poor and undeveloped once this crisis ends because in 30 days the world will have forgotten about them...until the next crisis.

Did you know that Haiti suffered FOUR hurricanes last year?  Where was the massive aid then?

There's a reason no one gives a shit about Haiti or Africa or any of the other poor countries (excluding the middle east): they have NOTHING we want.  The middle east has oil.  Africa has nothing.  Haiti has nothing.

Just once I want to see people focus on the real problems at hand in this world: poverty, clean drinking water, education.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
steph2884
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:50 AM

I understand the point they are making. 90 something percent of Americans didn't care about Haiti before... I'm sure 60 some percent probably didn't even know where the hell this country was. There are some people who have adopted children from Haiti or have helped orphanages there or have family there... but the rest of America didn't or doesn't. This really is a tragedy, but Americans seem to have blinders on when it comes to the world. Unless something tragic happens there, we don't care. There are tragedies all around the world. There are tragedies here in America also. It seems that we are always more willing to help other countries before we are willing to help our own. I have no problem with all the generousity we've shown, and I believe it is important for our country to show we actually care about those around us and to help them in their time of need. I also understand why people are upset that we aren't helping our own. There are children here who are going hungry, being abused and abandoned. I guess what I would like to see is a middle ground... more of an equal concern about all people, not just people from other countries when a natural disaster strikes... while we blindly drive by the homeless person on the busy exit from the interstate asking for food.. or telling them to get lost when they ask for money.

mslyricalbedlam
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:54 AM

Quoting steph2884:

I understand the point they are making. 90 something percent of Americans didn't care about Haiti before... I'm sure 60 some percent probably didn't even know where the hell this country was. There are some people who have adopted children from Haiti or have helped orphanages there or have family there... but the rest of America didn't or doesn't. This really is a tragedy, but Americans seem to have blinders on when it comes to the world. Unless something tragic happens there, we don't care. There are tragedies all around the world. There are tragedies here in America also. It seems that we are always more willing to help other countries before we are willing to help our own. I have no problem with all the generousity we've shown, and I believe it is important for our country to show we actually care about those around us and to help them in their time of need. I also understand why people are upset that we aren't helping our own. There are children here who are going hungry, being abused and abandoned. I guess what I would like to see is a middle ground... more of an equal concern about all people, not just people from other countries when a natural disaster strikes... while we blindly drive by the homeless person on the busy exit from the interstate asking for food.. or telling them to get lost when they ask for money.

I couldn't have said it better!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
So_Devious20
by Be.the.change.♥ on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Who says that we DIDN'T care about Haiti before? They had funds for Haiti, people donated money, kids were adopted from there. I'm still AMAZED at the idiocy of Americans. You were born in America. You YOURSELF did not swim across any freakin sea to get here. You didn't sail, or fly. None of that. Your parents were just blessed enough to be here when they had you. Congrats! But, I am so sorry to inform you that does NOT make your life worth more than anyone else's. Why does Haiti matter now? Oh, I don't know. Because SO many people died at once, so many children became orphans at once, a little bit of food, pretty much became NONE. I'm sorry that some of you feel the need to turn your back on our fellow human beings, but, I do not. I realize that America can't save the world, or even another country, but, we can HELP. We aren't giving them everything we have. GEEZ.

If Natural Disaster strikes you in your family, I know good and well it won't be, 'This happens all the time, don't worry about us.' Ugh. Some people are seriously so selfish and cold. DISGUSTING.

celticreverie
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:28 AM

BECAUSE IT WAS A DEVESTATING NATURAL DISASTER...

We help out many countries when disaster strikes. It's what we do.

Organizations have been in Haiti LONG before the earthquake though, people have cared. This man obviouly went on an angry rant without looking anything up.

His last line makes no sense: focus on the problems of this WORLD not "USA".. but we shouldn't care about Africa/Haiti or any other country that lacks the things he believes are problems of the WORLD?

What an asshat!

Here's a good response to why we help.

Ever since the earthquake in Haiti I have read and heard many Americans complaining about us sending aid over there when we have homeless, starving, poor people in this country suffering as well.

This argument baffles me. For many reasons, one being that the only time I hear the majority of people getting aggravated about it is only when we help out another country after a natural disaster has hit them. I don't hear this kind of complaining on a daily basis, it's like people only care when they know for sure that aid is being given elsewhere. These people are like temporary activists, only care when the media is having a field day.

How much aid did we send before the earthquake hit? What did we actually send over there, besides those non profit organizations who ran off of donations? How much did our government actually contribute to Haiti before the Earthquake? I'm willing to bet a significant amount less then it spends on Welfare, Housing, Supplemental Food programs, and insurance for those people who need help in this country.

This isn't saying that we do enough at home, no our entire system needs to be revamped. I know this. I know it's not perfect. I know that we have people dying on the streets. Homelessness is very real here, so are hungry children. We do need to focus on home but we shouldn't ignore another country in crisis either..

When a disaster strikes others we help out. It's part of what we do. The USA has always had a bit of a humanitarian side, and this country wouldn't be the same if we didn't. We help out both at home, and away during a natural disaster. We send relief, aid, troops, etc. We do this because we can, we have the man power to help out and it's a trait we should never lose.

We also are not the only country over there!

People also argue that no one helps us when we need it, and that's just a misconception. When Katrina hit over 50 countries offered aid, in the form of monetary and man power. We didn't accept all of the aid, but it was still pledged to us and that speaks volumes, especially since some of them weren't near as industrialized as we are.

In this world it's always a bit of give and take. We give a lot of help, but also receive it in times of need and the world wouldn't function if it wasn't that way.

bunkgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:36 AM

You know, not a day goes by that I don't think about the abandoned or starving children & families in our own country. And not a day goes by that I don't think about the aids crisis in Africa. And not a day goes by that I don't wonder what I can do to help the impoverished countries around the world. Which has always included Haiti. It seems almost meaningless what I do to help. But still I have to try. I have to do something. Anything. And at the end of the day it comes down to one thing. What if it was me? What if it was my children? What if it was my country?

steph2884
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:54 AM

No one has said their life was more important or worth more than another life. No one said they've turn their backs on them. I've donated, prayed. Would do more if I could. I just wish I could see more concern from people about everyone. Not just for America.. but for orphans in Africa, sick and starving from an AIDS epidemic. Children fighting the wars of adults... children that are sex slaves... I also understand the frustrations of people in this country because they are struggling. We still have more than the people of Haiti have ever had, even if we lost our jobs or lost houses. The people of Haiti truely have nothing, and this earthquake just devestated and already devestated country. I personally know a Haitan who STILL hasn't heard about some of his family. His cousins are ok, he has no idea where is mother and father are, and it's so sad. Having an understanding of another person's opinion doesn't mean I think we should just ignore another country with so much suffering...

Quoting So_Devious20:

Who says that we DIDN'T care about Haiti before? They had funds for Haiti, people donated money, kids were adopted from there. I'm still AMAZED at the idiocy of Americans. You were born in America. You YOURSELF did not swim across any freakin sea to get here. You didn't sail, or fly. None of that. Your parents were just blessed enough to be here when they had you. Congrats! But, I am so sorry to inform you that does NOT make your life worth more than anyone else's. Why does Haiti matter now? Oh, I don't know. Because SO many people died at once, so many children became orphans at once, a little bit of food, pretty much became NONE. I'm sorry that some of you feel the need to turn your back on our fellow human beings, but, I do not. I realize that America can't save the world, or even another country, but, we can HELP. We aren't giving them everything we have. GEEZ.

If Natural Disaster strikes you in your family, I know good and well it won't be, 'This happens all the time, don't worry about us.' Ugh. Some people are seriously so selfish and cold. DISGUSTING.

cdgoldilocks
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:02 AM

When I saw the scared, hungry, thirsty children sitting in the streets....some orphaned, I didn't mind a bit that Obama donated some of my tax money to help.

As a human being, I believe we should help out when we can. Yes, we will leave Haiti to their lives once we help them past the disaster. They will be ok, they will be back to living their own lives. Our job is to restore them to where they were pre-earthquake.

If someone totals my Saturn, I am not getting a Hummer in its place.

We need to help them bury their dead, give them food, water, suitable shelter.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

complextrina
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:00 PM

i was thinking the same thing...rather than helping countries who were bad off before, the US (and a majority of its citizens) always need to have some bandwagon to jump on....with 9/11 it was the "stand united" philosophy. there were american flags out the ass, and now nobody really cares anymore. the rest of the world is helping, and it was a bad disaster, but the US has to try and make itself the forerunner of help for everything so we look like "hey we're the US and we're helping more than anybody else" its all publicity crap. quote my message and bash me away....cause i dont care either. before the Haiti thing, it was ALL about Paul Merhige and him murdering his family....why is he on the news more than any other murderer? there will be something else (there always is) and Haiti will be a memory.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)