Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you think your SO has a say...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:45 AM
  • 27 Replies

in whether or not you get the epidural or any other drug during pregnancy?
My FIL tried to tell me that yes, my husband (his son) had a say in whether or not I got any drugs. I told him no, I am the one who has to go through the labor and the pain and it was my body. Luckily my DH agreed that it was my choice though he was worried about it because his mom had permanent nerve/back damage. 
What do you think...am
I right or was he?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

One domestic housewife who loves her tattoos, rock music, crafts, cooking and most importantly her perfect little rock star and her head banging, amazing soldier!
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Just_Bethy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:46 AM

I think....all advice and experience is welcome for input and should be considered...but...at the end of the day..the choice is yours and yours alone.... 

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

Beatlemama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Personally, I think that should be your choice.  It was my choice to have an epidural and dh was fine with whatever I wanted to do.  He felt it was my choice as well.

ALLYMAMA1105
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:48 AM

Because of his wifes experience I can understand you fil point of view. However I feel that it is your choice and you body. IF you make the choice to use an epidoral then you ahve to be prepared for any possibilty that something could go wrong. But yes ultimately it is your decision. and he does not have a say int he matter. 

HannahMayr
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:49 AM

If he had an opinion or idea (he really just want me to do what I want to do) I would certainly listen and consider his point. As for the actual decisions made about my body, I will make them.

nemiller
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:52 AM

um, no.  the only way i could see him having anything to say on the subject is if he were concerned about side effects.  but, our doctor explained all our options in detail, so he already knew everything he needed to know by the time i gave birth.  ultimately, i am the one in labor.  i know my pain threshold and i am aware of when i need medication.  so it's my choice.

rocklovinggirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Oh I already had my baby. I researched it all beforehand and even though my FIL did not want me to get it either, I ended up getting it at 9 cm (I asked for it at 8 but they took forever to give it to me). I was induced and my labor was sooo painful.

Quoting ALLYMAMA1105:

Because of his wifes experience I can understand you fil point of view. However I feel that it is your choice and you body. IF you make the choice to use an epidoral then you ahve to be prepared for any possibilty that something could go wrong. But yes ultimately it is your decision. and he does not have a say int he matter. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

One domestic housewife who loves her tattoos, rock music, crafts, cooking and most importantly her perfect little rock star and her head banging, amazing soldier!
TinaN64
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:14 AM

No!  Absolutely not.    And whether your DH agrees or not, he has no right to tell you whether you have to tolerate that pain or not.

Quoting rocklovinggirl:

in whether or not you get the epidural or any other drug during pregnancy?
My FIL tried to tell me that yes, my husband (his son) had a say in whether or not I got any drugs. I told him no, I am the one who has to go through the labor and the pain and it was my body. Luckily my DH agreed that it was my choice though he was worried about it because his mom had permanent nerve/back damage. 
What do you think...am
I right or was he?

coug7099
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Sure he does. Just as soon as he is the one laying in that bed going through the pain of labor. If a woman chooses to discuss this with her SO that is between them but for a doctor to give him a say at the time is wrong IMO unless the woman is unable to make that decision for herself. 

mitch576
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:29 AM

no.

let me say it again...

no.

no one has any right over anyone's body but that individual.

the truth behind the epi? i've had three kids.

two with epi's, the third without.

the truth about epis is that you will always have back pain after they do that to you. it may not be agonizing but it will be there.

and.. you can die from an epi which is why with #3 i didn't have one. they tried to place it and went to deep, my blood pressure dropped to 70/30 and i went into cardiac arrest.  it was a matter of human error which happens more than people want to admit to.

i recovered without an epi... quicker. i had her faster and with less pushing.

that's my info. if you want an epi.. go for it! it's YOU  who has to deliver this baby. not your husband, not me or anyone else. i told you what happened to me so that you know the risks, not to sway you. i have nothing against the epi and i think it can be a  wonderful tool.

but it does come with risks and reprecussions.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

ArianaRiRi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:34 AM

Nope!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)