Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could he have been abused?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:05 AM
  • 7 Replies

A week ago i found a puppy outside my house.  I took him to the vet and started feeding him since he was very skinny.  He is on a dewormer and had to be put on some advantage for a flea problem, then on Friday i took him to the groomers. He stays with my brother and his partner and since i don't work and he does i take the dog to do all this.

This dog is scared to death of male blue jeans. If its female jeans he is fine but male jeans he freaks out starts yelping and going to hide. I saw this yesterday as he went behind my brothers couch because his partner was putting on blue jeans and the puppy saw. If you say NO. He gets really scared and pees himself. I feel really bad for him.

Does this sound like actions of a abused puppy??? What should we do to make him feel safe if so?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DaisyAg2003
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:11 AM

It is hard to say whether he was abused....

I say keep giving him the love and attention that he so deserves!  He will eventually see that you all are good people and hopefully will get over that fear.  Maybe give him an old pair of men's blue jeans to "get used to".

Thank you for saving that poor pup.

StaceysMom4706
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:14 AM

yep, sounds to me like he's been abused. poor lil thing!

lots of love and attention!  maybe talk to the vet or the people at friends of animals for advice on how to deal with it!

good luck!

Alexandria 

alexhuntercody
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:16 AM

We just feel really bad about having to tell him no. My brother said its the saddest thing because he really gets scared to death  when you say NO ,,and he wont' come around them if they are in blue jeans so they go change into sweats really fast. 

klawbie
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:17 AM

He was probably in an abusive environment, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was being abused by a person. Our dogs were terrified of any sudden movements for the first few months we had them. They would pee if anyone yelled or moved quickly near them. They are English Springer Spaniels and they had been living in a cage with pit bulls. We aren't positive any people had been abusing them, but we are almost certain the pit bulls are responsible for their skiddish behavior. One interesting thing about them, however, is that they hate the smell of beer. I'm not sure how we figured it out, but if we wave a glass of beer under their noses, they will walk away from us.

ek2010
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:20 AM

He could've been, especially in the conditions you found him. But sometimes dogs are just scared of things like thunderstorms and such. My dog is even scared of carrots...if she sees one she bolts out the room. We've had her since she was old enough to leave her litter so no chance of abuse there. I think she might be scared on them because one was hot and she tried to eat it so....maybe your puppy could've had a bad experience with the blue jeans?  

CafeMom Tickers
alexhuntercody
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Quoting ek2010:

He could've been, especially in the conditions you found him. But sometimes dogs are just scared of things like thunderstorms and such. My dog is even scared of carrots...if she sees one she bolts out the room. We've had her since she was old enough to leave her litter so no chance of abuse there. I think she might be scared on them because one was hot and she tried to eat it so....maybe your puppy could've had a bad experience with the blue jeans?  

yeah but its more than that. He hates the word no. i mean all dogs do but this dog freaks out with that word and gets so scared he pees himself. If you want to be techincal he is scared of men; he does better with me then with them.

Just_Bethy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Yes..he might have very well been abused...I wouldn't change into sweats though...I would make anyone male in blue jeans sit away from him and ignore him until...with time..he realises he is safe...Let him come to you ..he will eventually....Time and Love is what its going to take for him to trust and feel safe

(One of my dogs is an abuse survivor..took time but she is OK now) 

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)