Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I guess my kids are just weird

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM
  • 24 Replies

I want to make it clear that I am pro breast feeding and do know that breast is best.

So I've just been noticing that my son who is 3 1/2, rarely gets sick and has never had an ear infection. I BF him for 4 months and then did formula the rest of the time.

My daughter I BF all the way, did not do formula at all and she is sick a lot and has had numerous ear infections.

Isn't that weird? It's like the exact opposite of how it's suppose to be.

Thoughts?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I've heard women on here say that same thing before.  I think it's ironic.  I formula fed all my kids and they haven't had any serious illnesses (knock on wood).  Just minor colds, no flu or anything with all three of them.  My formula fed preemie didn't even get a cold until she was 18 months old.

redsoxfan1982
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Nah, not weird. Just that every kid is different. Who knows, maybe the bfed kiddo will have it better later on? I have a friend who bfed 100% and her kiddo is ALWAYS sick. It's circumstantial.  

Valerie

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I FF all of my kids, 3 of them. Not one had an ear infection...ever. Also no serious illnesses. We get the occasional cold 2 or 3 times a year. Not one of them have ever been on a single anti biotic.

Today I can say I am PROUD to be from Massachusetts!!

Hey Mr. President....Can. You. Hear. Us. NOW!!!!!

QuickMomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Mine is the otherway around.DD was only breastfed for a month then went to formula and she was always sick,I mean always.The flu,viruses,colds,ear infections etc you name it but with DS he is 22 months and I am still nursing him, he has only had colds.

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Have you seen "He's just not that into you"

My kids must be the exception.. not the rule.

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:42 AM

My daughter hasn't had any serious illnesses she's just had a lot of colds and flues in her short 20 months on earth. My 3 1/2 year old has had maybe 2 colds.

alexhuntercody
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

the thing with breastfeeding is that the kids who are breasfed are healthier than they would of been had they not been breastfed. Kids who are formula fed are sicker than what they would of been had they been breastfed.

Thats the way it was explained to me by wic. LIke it doesn't prevent sickness in kids it just means without the breastmilk they probaly would of been sicker.

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

My kids were all  breastfed and they are all extremely healthy. I think it just depends on the kid. Some kids are just prone to ear infections and stuff.

QuickMomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM

My DD ended up needing a ivy because she was soo dehydrated from that gastronitus when she was about a year or so old.

Quoting xxLukesMamaxx:

My daughter hasn't had any serious illnesses she's just had a lot of colds and flues in her short 20 months on earth. My 3 1/2 year old has had maybe 2 colds.

tinkerxbell
by danger will robinson on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM

My DS is breastfed, and so far he's never been sick once, but he's only 10 months old, so we'll see (knock on wood). My nephew however, is only 11 days older than my DS and is/was also breastfed, in his 10 months of life he's been sick at least 5 or 6 times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)