Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hair Dye for an 11 year old

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:47 AM
  • 35 Replies

MY dd is 11 and she wants her hair pink.  I don't mind the pink but dh doesnt want any kind of permanent dye that could ruin her color.   LIke he wants it to grow back out or go back to her natural color.   Up until now she's been using a spray in color which looks like a spray in color. I found in walgreens this stuff called splat But I'm nervous about putting it in her hair.  So  before I go testing it on myself I'm wondering if anyone of you have any expreience with this stuff.

BTW she's in middle school and after we started using the spray in stuff some of the 8th grade girls went a lil furhter that she did  She's kinda feeling upstaged  lol

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HSGRCANDMRCY
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:49 AM

TRY THE LITTLE PINK HAIR PCS. THEY WORK JUST AS WELL AS TEH COLOR. AND YOU CAN TAKE HEM OUT WHENEVER. THEY ARE EASY TO PUT IN THEY JUST CLIP IN AND EASY TO REMOVE.

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM

splatt is semi permanent. It will last a VERY long time. The one I used came with bleach to bleach out your color first....so if you're really looking for something not permanent this may not be your thing.

Today I can say I am PROUD to be from Massachusetts!!

Hey Mr. President....Can. You. Hear. Us. NOW!!!!!

supermom3806
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I never used it but I know a friend who did && it turned out pretty good. My DH is just like yours. He thinks I should dye my hair && get perms but its my hair. That sucks that she feels upstaged maybe if you do this she'll feel a little better. 8th grade sucks cuz everyone is finding out who they are && what they like but it gets worse in High School lol. Well Good Luck 

Heather0816
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:52 AM

My sons use to have a fascination with colored hair so every summer they would have a different color. We used permanent stuff that we got at Sally's beauty store. When it grew out it was the same color as before I had put it in. Unless you use a dye that washes out it will take a long time for her hair to grow the dye out. Last time I let the dye grow out of my hair, it took 18 months of growing with haircuts every 6-8 wks.

Follow me to,  Army Wives Do It With Pride

Kaibutsu
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM

The best way to get those bright colors to show is to bleach your hair first, but then that means you'd be getting rid of her natural color. I used manic panic hair dye a few times, but I've never used splat. Maybe you could try just dying the tips, or the bottom half of her hair or just streaks to keep some of her natural color. I always wanted blue or orange hair when I was her age, but my parents never let me (although they later let my little brother do it >.<). Then when I was 21 and did it myself I was sad about how I had to dye over it for a job. She'll only be a kid once lol Here are some pics of me with manic panic dye.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Last year maddy went from this

to  this

And now she wants another change.  (actually when we cut it ,it was way shorter and its a lil longer than that right now but at that akward stage.  So she wants something Shocking again. She's only in 6th grade and the 8th grade girls are all upstaging her  lol

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Don't use one with bleach. Manic Panic is gentle and will wash completely out in about two and a half weeks (if you wash your hair daily).

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Thats exactly the kinda color she wants.  That vibrant type of color that really stands out. But her father is adamant that he doesnt want  anything that will get rid of her color.  Which I do understand.  She might not like it after awhile and I don't want to have to re dye it to get something close to her natural color.   I told her I would find somthing and test it out on my hair to make sure its good for her.  IDk maybe I can buy her a colored wig.  Do they make child size pink wigs  lol

Quoting Kaibutsu:

The best way to get those bright colors to show is to bleach your hair first, but then that means you'd be getting rid of her natural color. I used manic panic hair dye a few times, but I've never used splat. Maybe you could try just dying the tips, or the bottom half of her hair or just streaks to keep some of her natural color. I always wanted blue or orange hair when I was her age, but my parents never let me (although they later let my little brother do it >.<). Then when I was 21 and did it myself I was sad about how I had to dye over it for a job. She'll only be a kid once lol Here are some pics of me with manic panic dye.

Kaibutsu
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I bleached my hair to get it this bright, but manic panic dye works pretty well over unbleached hair too. It washes out in a few weeks or a month. Her hair is short though so even if you bleached it I think it would grow out relatively fast.

Quoting Msgme:

Thats exactly the kinda color she wants.  That vibrant type of color that really stands out. But her father is adamant that he doesnt want  anything that will get rid of her color.  Which I do understand.  She might not like it after awhile and I don't want to have to re dye it to get something close to her natural color.   I told her I would find somthing and test it out on my hair to make sure its good for her.  IDk maybe I can buy her a colored wig.  Do they make child size pink wigs  lol

Quoting Kaibutsu:

MandyOs
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:26 AM

This post is making my urge to dye my hair blue even stronger.

But I can't because of my job. :'[ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)