Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it unethical?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:49 AM
  • 16 Replies

I'm in the process of opening a state registered home daycare. All that is left to submit are 3 letters of reference. I asked 6 people (just in case some couldn't do it) 2 weeks ago to please do this for me and I've still not received anything from any of them! All of these people I have bent over backwards for in the past, and I never expected anything in return, but I never expected them to not follow through with such a simple favor! So someone suggested I write the letters myself, send them to each person along with a self addressed stamped envelope for them to read, sign, and send back.

Would this be considered unethical!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nbr1sahm
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Surely someone has an opinion on this.

Christine0813
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Not something I would do. I would just make a follow up call asking them about the letters and that you need them by such and such time or your business can't open.

zianneaaliyah
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:58 AM

It would be if  you forged their signatures.  

luv2wahm
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I think it's unethical...I am not trying to be rude, but maybe they aren't giving you a letter of reference because they feel you won't be a good daycare provider?

I just feel if you are going to be caring for other people's children you should do everything by the book and get real references and not just signatures on a reference that you have created.

Maybe you can call and ask them if there is a reason they haven't sent one...

MzSeXyC
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM

honestly, i wouldnt do that.

it just doesnt seem like the right thing to do. may look funny too, if its the same letter from all these people ya know? unless you planned on writing different letters. i dunno. i still wouldnt do it.

good luck though.

have you tried calling the people you asked to do this for you? 

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Quoting Christine0813:

Not something I would do. I would just make a follow up call asking them about the letters and that you need them by such and such time or your business can't open.

This.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I would ask them if there was a problem or a reason they weren't writing them. Some people...many people just don;t know what to write. My realtor asked us to write one for him, I never did. I have no idea what to write. Had he written something out I would have signed it...I loved him and he was awesome! but I never would ahve done it on my own.

Today I can say I am PROUD to be from Massachusetts!!

Hey Mr. President....Can. You. Hear. Us. NOW!!!!!

TinaN64
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I don't think it's unethical.  As a matter of fact, when my friend was going thru this I asked her to write what she'd like me to say.  I had NO idea what to say.  She knew what the state wanted to hear. 

Call them and ask them if they'd be ok doing that.

SurvivingMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I needed a letter of recomendation from my highschool principal, and I went to see him about it and he agreed to do it but TOLD ME to type one up and bring it in, he would read it and sign it.. This was about 6 months ago. He agreed to everything I said in the letter, or he wouldn't have signed it

I started my weight loss journey on November 3rd, 2009. My weight loss progress is updated every Friday. I want to have the full 84lbs gone by July 21st, 2010. If you want to know how I'm doing it, read my journal! =) Complete with progress pictures and will be updated whenever I add something to my weight loss routine and/or I get another progress picture. Do it with me! Send me a PM I'm always looking for a weight loss buddy!

emeralddreams85
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Ditto

Quoting Christine0813:

~emeralddreams85

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)