Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Susan Smith wants new trial

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM
  • 36 Replies

I think its revolting that she's asking for a new trial, but I guess if it could mean her getting the death penalty, then go for it.  Any person who would do what she did to her own children should have the same thing done to her.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/22327344/detail.html

Susan Smith Asks For New Trial

South Carolina Mother Confessed To Killing Sons

POSTED: 2:02 pm EST January 24, 2010
UPDATED: 2:52 pm EST January 24, 2010

UNION, S.C. -- Susan Smith, the South Carolina mother sentenced to life in prison for killing her two sons by rolling her car into a lake, is asking for a new trial.

Solicitor Kevin Brackett said Smith claims her attorney failed to adequately represent her when she was on trial 15 years ago. In a handwritten petition filed in Union County, Smith also claimed the trial was "unfair."

The appeal comes a month after her petition in federal court was dismissed.

Smith captured the national spotlight in 1994 when she told investigators and the world that her two young sons had been taken in a carjacking.

She later confessed to strapping them into their car seats and letting her car roll into a lake.

Copyright 2010 by WYFF4.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Susan Smith is an animal and there is no need to waste another minute on her!

_Bamaborn_
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM

They should have took that piece of trash and strapped her in a car and shoved her in that lake..

~kelly

savannahnhi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:37 AM

she is pure trash.

pinkbrooklyn
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Susan Smith is an animal and there is no need to waste another minute on her!

Ditto. 

judybant
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:38 AM

The only way I'd say it'd be okay for her to have a new trial, would be if the penalty, when they found her guilty, was that she was strapped into a seat, and rolled into water, to just over the top of her head, and then just as she stopped fighting, they'd pull her out, and resuscitate her, and then do it again... at least once per week... forever... but that's just me. I think the punishment should not only FIT the crime, it should mimic it... so that the person who could do that to two little boys, could experience their pain, fright, and feelings over and over and over again...

Which is why I've never actually been PICKED for any jury, when I've been called for jury duty...  

orcadarwin
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM

If they would just put her into general population at the jail she's in, then she would be taken care of and they wouldn't have to worry about her writing any more petitions. 

mama2conor
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Quoting _Bamaborn_:

They should have took that piece of trash and strapped her in a car and shoved her in that lake..

~kelly

I know, I agree! When I first heard what she had done, I was shocked.  I just couldn't believe that a mother would murder her own children, and she did it for a man! It makes me sick. I would never choose a man over my son.  :(

Angiebooboo
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM

being put to death for what she did is the easy way out , i think she needs to suffer , but i do not think we should have to pay for her for the rest of her life , but to give her a new trial and waist more money  NO WAY.

TattedMommyof2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Completely agree.  

Quoting judybant:

The only way I'd say it'd be okay for her to have a new trial, would be if the penalty, when they found her guilty, was that she was strapped into a seat, and rolled into water, to just over the top of her head, and then just as she stopped fighting, they'd pull her out, and resuscitate her, and then do it again... at least once per week... forever... but that's just me. I think the punishment should not only FIT the crime, it should mimic it... so that the person who could do that to two little boys, could experience their pain, fright, and feelings over and over and over again...

Which is why I've never actually been PICKED for any jury, when I've been called for jury duty...  

luv2wahm
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Unfair?

It was unfair of her to kill her boys so she could be single and carefree!

Sorry, let her rot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)