Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Laptop -NEED ADVICE

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM
  • 15 Replies

I am looking for some advice on what type of laptop to get. I need it for going online for school and when I travel which is not that often but I need to be able to use WIFI I believe.

Thanks for any advice or tips or any links to ones to look at and compare.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myrtlebeach
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:39 AM

No one has any tips for a laptop I find that odd

ShadowRaven
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Do you have a price range?

fairy_fan
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:07 AM

We have 2 laptops, one is a Dell we got off of Ebay for about $500 (watch the selling time and watch for the ones that end in the middle of the night, you will get a better price, JMHO.)  We have had NO problems with our Dell.  My husband travels quite a bit and he is able to connect to WiFi at most places with no problems. 

The other is an Acer.  I would NOT recommend it.  The fan went out and it over heats all the time.  I gave less than $400 at Walmart for it.  It is going to cost me around $150-$200 to get a new fan installed.  After researching it, I have found SEVERAL bad reviews all over the internet of Acers having this problem.  I intend to replace the Acer with another Dell very soon.

I couldn't find Platform 9 3/4, Forks was too wet and dreary, so I am moving to Bon Temps!

themacs4
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I have a Dell laptop.  I love it!  I got it for Christmas.  I don't know the exact type, but I can check when I get home.

JasonsMom2007
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Hubby and I both have Toshibas and we love them!  We are very hard on computers and we don't lock these up often.  They're the big ones with the 19" screens.  We don't usually like system built computers (we choose to build our own instead but that wasn't really an option with laptops) but we love these!

Sheppy
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Get an Apple/Mac! :)

TinaN64
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM

We bought our oldest daughter a Macbook for Xmas 2009.  It is screaming fast, and she loves it.  It also has great battery life.  The only downside that I could imagine would be the price... $1000.  It was her Xmas and b'day present.  We saved all year for it, and it was the ONLY thing she asked for.

Quoting Sheppy:

Get an Apple/Mac! :)

**edited to add...  We also have a Dell laptop.   No complaints about it.  My youngest "inherited" it when the oldest got the Mac.  It was my hubby's work computer and they let him have it for next to nothing.

FuTureMrsPaRRy
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Dell....!!

naomishere
by naomi michelle on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM

im ruff w laptops ans i picked up a sony viao from the sony outlet store and its the best and ive had it for a year !!!!!!!!!!

kagegirl
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM

I have a Compaq. I bought it on sale, for 300, but they normally run about 500. It's a great little laptop, and I love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)