Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My newborn hasnt pooped....

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM
  • 7 Replies

Ok...so my little baby girl who was born at 32 weeks and has spent the last 3 weeks of her life in the NICU (we got to bring her home YESTERDAY!!!!!!!)  ..... and the night before we brought her home we roomed in at the hospital so "technically" she's been under our care for 48 hours...and she hasnt pooped.  When we left the hospital they werent concerned at the 24 hours mark because they said that most breastfed babies dont poop every 24 hours...Did I mention she's breastfed???

aahh!! So tired!! lol....Anyways, she eats every 3 hours on a timed schedule because thats what they were doing at the NICU, her diapers are ALWAYS wet, we add a 24 calorie fortifier to the breastmilk and she takes vitamins with iron.... Could this be why she hasnt pooped??  Im kinda concerned.  I called the peditrician this morning and we have an appt. tomorrow morning...but still...48 hours!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
randmmom05
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM

The iron could be making her constipated.

Honeybun09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM

My DD didn't poop for two weeks. The pedi will probably try natural methods with your first before moving onto other things. We ended up with suppositories because it got so bad they were considering taking her to the ER to have them manually remove the impact LOL.

Call the pedi and they'll tell you what they want you to do in the beginning.

I am a US citizen, formula feeding but will breastfeed until child self weans next time, co-sleeping, extended rear facing and harnessing to the maximum, God loving and fearing, anti-spanking and time-out, anti-CIO, wanting another baby but waiting, disposable diapering but will cloth diaper next time, training to be a child care assistant, natural family planning (no birth control AT ALL) mommy to one beautiful mixed baby girl!  My husband is a legal Mexican United States citizen, who is the most amazing man, husband, and father.

Have a Baby? Join us in the Babies group! ~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~

ForeverDream
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:12 AM

hmm. i have no idea, but good luck at the doctors tomorrow!

my2girls516
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM

My girls were also breastfeed.  Both of them only pooped about 2ce a week.  My doctors said that was normal for breastfeed babies. 

QuickMomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Not to sure.My DS pooped everyday and a few times a day at that age so heres a bump.

NevadaSky
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM

My 3 BF'ed babies (now grown adults).  Pooped every time they were fed!  The iron in the fortifier is more than likely constipating her.  Hopefully your pedi can help you with the issue.

My DD's oldest (also BF'ed),had constipation issues, we give her a bottle of breast milk - with a teaspoon of Karo syrup or Mineral Oil - it helped greatly.  Miralax is a last resort, but also works wonders.  She also used Glyserin suppositories a time or two.

GOOD LUCK MOMMA - I hope that this goes away quickly!!!

lcappytan05
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Like some of the others had said, it's probably the iron that's stopping her up. My son is on formula with iron in it and sometimes he gets constipated...

good luck at the doctor!

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)