Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my son's daycare obligated to say something? (Car seat question) UPDATED

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:14 PM
  • 106 Replies

The last few times I went to drop my son off at daycare I noticed a mom getting her baby out of the car. The baby only looks about 8-9 months and she had the baby forward facing. The first time I thought maybe I was seeing something. The second time I tried to pay more attention to how old the baby is (she's chunky). The third time I watched again to see if she was still forward facing. I didn't say anything to the mom because I was not sure how old the baby acutally was and I don't feel comfortable saying anything to her since I have no clue who she is. Anyway, this morning I saw the same thing again. I saw the mom go and drop the baby off in the infant room and saw the baby up close and she doesn't look anywhere near 1, granted she's a big baby. This time I said something to my son's teacher and she just said "oh really?" She didn't ask who she was so I know she won't say anything. Are they required to mention something to the mom if I maybe mention it to the director? I feel like it's not my place to say something to the mom but I think someone should talk to her to see if maybe she just can't afford an infant seat or a convertible seat that she can rear face. I have some resources where she can get one if that is the case.

Edit for some of the replies

lol you guys are acting like I'm stalkiing her. She drops her baby off the same time as me. The cars are parked right next to each other in a row. It's not like I go out of my way to see how she is sitting. When I first saw it, it was because she was parked next to me and I was leaning over to get my son out.  I'm not calling the cops, I am not reporting her. I simply mentioned it to the teacher because it is illegal and because I know resources can be hard some times. I work for a children's hospital and I have resources for her if she can't afford a carseat that will let her rear-face beyond the weight limit. I wouldn't care if the child was over 1 and forward facing. This baby is little.

Update 2

I talked to the director. She said that they would post a sign in the infant room.

So all the women saying "her baby, her choice...." Are you the same type that would say nothing if a child was being abused while you walked by? Or, the same type that wouldn't say anything about a child in a pickup bed? Or, the same type that would let a friend drive home drunk? All are against the law and all our their choices...same as FF before age 1. I'm not preaching about ERF but after seeing this baby close up today and after talking to the director the baby is only 7 months. So, I'm glad I said something without causing a scene by confronting some woman in the parking lot

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NikkosMommy820
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I don't think they are obligated to say anything, perhaps they could send a flyer home or put a "car seat safety" chart up in the class room or in the office....?

BaisMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Her baby, her choice.

Stop being so preoccupied with other people and take care of your own kids.

Young and single. Call me a statistic if you'd like, it doesn't change the fact that I am a smart, strong, and confident mother. There are also a number of other things that you might not like about me: I breastfed AND formula fed. My daughter is on a delayed vax'ing schedule. I had a c-section. Organic food is nasty. I don't spank, but I do whoop ass. I let my daughter get hurt and make mistakes, I want her to learn through experience, it's the best way. I am an Atheist, my daughter has never been to church nor read the bible. I don't believe that I need to look to a "god" to have morals. I believe in reason, science, the Earth, and I believe in PEOPLE. Despite my heathen ways, I have a pure heart <3 and my daughter is healthy, smart, happy, beautiful, and loving; and she knows she's loved.

mariscilla
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM
no they are not as distressing as it is
grammarpolice
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

The last few times I went to drop my son off at daycare I noticed a mom getting her baby out of the car. The baby only looks about 8-9 months and she had the baby forward facing. The first time I thought maybe I was seeing something. The second time I tried to pay more attention to how old the baby is (she's chunky). The third time I watched again to see if she was still forward facing. I didn't say anything to the mom because I was not sure how old the baby acutally was and I don't feel comfortable saying anything to her since I have no clue who she is. Anyway, this morning I saw the same thing again. I saw the mom go and drop the baby off in the infant room and saw the baby up close and she doesn't look anywhere near 1, granted she's a big baby. This time I said something to my son's teacher and she just said "oh really?" She didn't ask who she was so I know she won't say anything. Are they required to mention something to the mom if I maybe mention it to the director? I feel like it's not my place to say something to the mom but I think someone should talk to her to see if maybe she just can't afford an infant seat or a convertible seat that she can rear face. I have some resources where she can get one if that is the case.

What type of seat is she in that is forward facing and NOT a convertible?

TinaN64

Mind your own business.  Don't you have enough to do without butting in where you're not asked, wanted, or concerned?

What is WRONG with people?  So busy watching everyone else... I'm sure if someone wanted to nosy up into your activities they'd find something you do wrong.  Just leave it alone.

Heather0816

My exact thoughts!

Quoting BaisMom:

Her baby, her choice.

Follow me to,  Army Wives Do It With Pride

mommy2holley
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I agree..

Quoting BaisMom:

Her baby, her choice.

a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM
I do take care of my own kids rudeness. It's not only unsafe but it's illegal. I'm not trying to get her in trouble.
Quoting BaisMom:

Her baby, her choice.

mandalouwhotn
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM

This....I wish I had enough time on my hands to get in other peoples business.  Get a hobby or something.

Quoting BaisMom:

Her baby, her choice.

Jewelzgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Quoting BaisMom:

Her baby, her choice.

This...I hardly ever pay attention to what other moms are doing with their kids, because I'm to busy paying attention to my own child.  I  never can figure out why other moms are so preoccupied or how they manage to find the time to look at what other moms are doing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)