Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just want to know your thoughts on what it means to you

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:25 PM
  • 33 Replies

I just would like to get others take on what they think this verse means to them.

1Cor. 5:9-11-I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually
immoral people. Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral
people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters,
since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I have written to
you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually
immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an
extortionernot even to eat with such a person. For what have I to do with
judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside?
But those who are outside God judges. Therefore put away from yourselves
the evil person"

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:27 PM

how are you supposed to judge someone evil if you aren't allowed to judge others?

inspain
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Sounds like a recipe for making a judgemental, holier-than-thou, pain in the ass.

You asked.

eye rolling

The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions, is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble and that is what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong. - Bill Maher
jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I had to go get my bible to better understand, lol.  I have an NLT bible and this is what it says....

"When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin.  But I wasn't talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people or worship idols.  You would have to leave this would to avoid people like that.  I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer (brother) yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worship idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people.  Don't even eat with such people"

Paul makes it clear that we should not disassociate ourselves from unbelievers.  If we did, we wouldn't carry out Jesus' wishes to tell them about salvation.  Instead he says to distance ourselves from the people who claim to be Christian, yet still indulges in these sins that are explicitly forbidden in scripture. 

ElShaddi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I don't think so for the right ppl lol anyways there are judgmental pain in the butts every where.

Quoting inspain:

Sounds like a recipe for making a judgemental, holier-than-thou, pain in the ass.

You asked.

eye rolling

ElShaddi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

I had to go get my bible to better understand, lol.  I have an NLT bible and this is what it says....

"When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin.  But I wasn't talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people or worship idols.  You would have to leave this would to avoid people like that.  I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer (brother) yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worship idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people.  Don't even eat with such people"

Paul makes it clear that we should not disassociate ourselves from unbelievers.  If we did, we wouldn't carry out Jesus' wishes to tell them about salvation.  Instead he says to distance ourselves from the people who claim to be Christian, yet still indulges in these sins that are explicitly forbidden in scripture. 

Thank you that is what I got out of it. I was just curious if others did the same so I would know that I wasnt way of base lol.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:38 PM

wow, that is interesting are we still suppose to be doing that or is that OT?

Quoting jillbailey26:

Idiosyncratic
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM

don't have sex with you siblings...

and even your family and priests and cable show hosts can lead you astray ?

ElShaddi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Quoting teri4lance:

how are you supposed to judge someone evil if you aren't allowed to judge others?

I think they are talking about only judging the evil within the church.

ElShaddi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I thought that was for everybody in the church or not :)

Quoting Idiosyncratic:

don't have sex with you siblings...

and even your family and priests and cable show hosts can lead you astray ?

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM

lol oh and it says God doesn't like hypocrites. probably a good thing to remember.

although I still don't see how you are supposed to decide someone else is a hypocrite if you aren't allowed to judge anyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)