• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our newspaper ran a story about pets and vaccinations

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

And in my area that over 50% of pet owners never keep up with their pets vaccinations. (at least in my area) and that over 60% of those who adopt from the shelter never get their pet in for a annual checkup after they leave the shelter..And that out of 80 dogs and 40 cats taht are currently in the shelter 24 of the cats and 42 of the dogs were previous shelter animals..Our animal welfare will be going door to door in select neighborhoods checking on dog tags and vaccination records. If you fail to have legal tags and your dog isn't up to date on rabies they will issue you a fine on top of a date to have those records for them.

I just found that interesting and sad.

Every year part of our tax refund goes to paying our car insurance for the year and getting the animals yearly checkups done. Now that i have pet insurance this isn't that big of a deal but before then it would cost a pretty penny so we used tax money. my parents did it that way too.  I wonder if people fail to think of that with those tax refund checks they get they could get their pets up to date on shots and legal and then are fine until the following year. Who knows but i thought those statistics were sad. In my city you not only have to keep rabies current but your dog needs a dog tag purchased at the court house. I knew we had a lot of irresponsible pet owners but i had no idea it was that high.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
two4one
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I will be honest... while I get my dog every vaccination he neds, I do not do so for my cats. Why? The are indoor only. I have done research and do not liek the thought of overvacinating them. So I give them only the combo vaccine.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

KrystalY
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Thanks for posting.  It is sad that so many people fail to take care of their animals.  I do agree with the PP that for indoor only animals it does not need to be done every year.  For my indoor only cats I only do vaccinations once every three years (I volunteer with an animal rescue and have done the research).  However, animals that go outside, or come into contact with animals that go outside (cats in a home with dogs or in foster homes) should be vaccinated every year.  The benefits outweigh the risks. 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:38 PM

There are a lot of people that are not compliant.  I only vaccinate my indoor cats every 3 years and do not give them the Leukemia shot.  My dogs don't ever get the kennel cough vaccine and once they hit 5 years old we go about every three years for vaccines.  I do the Heartworm every year though.  I have done my research and my vets office like many in my area have started doing this for many of the animals anyway. When mine reach a certain age (12-15 yrs) i stop vaccinating all together depending on the disease that we might be dealing with.

hfs1998
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:38 PM

My dog is up-to-date on his vax.  My cats are not.  They are indoor, elderly cats and I can't risk the reactions anymore.  Even our vet agrees that after a certain age a lot of the shots can be dangerous to cats.  One of the cats does get a rabies shot because he goes to a groomer.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Our animals are vaccinated against Rabies and that's it.  Our vet takes it on a case by case basis and said that in our situation that is all they need!

Jewelzgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I'm not surprised the stats are so high.  I've been known to let my dog's shots lapse after taking them in for the spay/neuter where they got their shots then.

all4l.o.v.e
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:45 PM

That is sad. I guess when some people get pets, they don't account for the costs of vet visits and medical expenses...ect. We just got a new puppy a couple of weeks ago, and we made sure to wait until we were prepared to keep him UTD on shots and anything medical related. I view a pet as part of the family, and cutting corners on their health is not right at all. There are some cases where not vaxing a pet is understandable and sometimes best, but for the most part I think neglecting your animal's medical needs is just as bad as neglecting your child's medical needs.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM

my pets see a vet 4 times a week....LOL I babysit for a vet and she checks my animals whenever I need her to. She brings them their shots when they need them too.

boyd-family
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Thats sad, I am lucky to have a very inexpensive vet clinic so my dogs go in whenever needed whether we have the money or not....(they also take payments) I love them!!! 

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)