Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any phlebotomists in the house?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

This is something I may be considering learning.  Is it hard to take other people's blood?  What all is involved?  Is it on the job training or do you have to have a degree?

Thank you for the input.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
piercedbeauty21
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM

My sister and I are getting ready to do that this June. My mom took the course and she said it was really easy and fun. She won"t do it anymore because of the "scary things in people"s blood". I"m taking my entry exam today for surgical school and I hope to get into phlebotomy course, so I have a better medical background.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

piercedbeauty21
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention. It is on the job & classroom training. I know here in NY you have to have a full physical to get into ANY medical career & you have to fill out some paper work for the course. The course here cost about $600 and it last for about a month.

Quoting piercedbeauty21:

My sister and I are getting ready to do that this June. My mom took the course and she said it was really easy and fun. She won"t do it anymore because of the "scary things in people"s blood". I"m taking my entry exam today for surgical school and I hope to get into phlebotomy course, so I have a better medical background.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Gee_Uh
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I worked as a phlebo through RN school.  It is easy and if the hospital has a shortage of Plebos, they will train and certify you.  Yes, you have to be certified to work in most medical settings. 

love_my_family
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Thanks ladies and bump

flmom81206
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I am currently thinking about this myself. Thing is, I live in GA, and I can't seem to find any schools here. Any advice?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)