Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just a strange question about military and police rules

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

So say a man wants to join the police department or the military or anything like that. If his wife has a felony criminal record will the man still be able to join? This comes from the are cops good or bad post but I'm really curious if the wife's background matters when they are deciding whether or not to hire someone for service to our country or state.

The extent of American ignorance continues to amaze me

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jewelzgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Nope, they only look at the record of the applicant.  The spouse's record isn't even considered. 

skeletor1017
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM

My hubby says yes.

Edit: I read it wrong. Yes to get in. No, it is not factored in.

Cavalrybaby02
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM

For the Army, the spouse isn't even looked at for purposes of joining.

For security clearances, it can have an affect, but mostly they worry about if the spouse is a foreign national and other similar things.

mom2mandjax
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Thanks ladies, I was just curious.

The extent of American ignorance continues to amaze me

mama2mycuties
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Depends in what kind of job they want in the military.......for my brothers MOS our entire family was interviewed and they did thorough background searches. And they continue to recheck those things with us every few years.

For my dh, he is security forces in the air force.....my having a record would be problematic for certain security clearances.......good thing i don't have a record :)

stpalmsgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:10 PM

My husband is in the army and they did not do a background check on me, but it depends on what job in the military you're going to do. Dh is currently trying to switch over to CID and had to get a security clearance and with that one they did check up an me and my family. Some jobs in the army he can not even apply for because I am not an american citizen, so it all depends as what you try to go in.

butterflyblu
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM

No, not to join.  However, I know in the Army if a family member has certain criminal convictions then they are barred from living in on-post housing.  I think that mostly only applies to things like domestic violence, child abuse, sex crimes, etc.   It could apply to all felonies I'm not 100% sure though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)