Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking your kids to the ER...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:09 PM
  • 131 Replies

What would have to have happened for you to take you kid to the ER? I have several friends who take their kids in for everything. They throw up once and they are in the ER. my best friend took her son yesterday because he had a cold for 2 days. COME ON!!! Really?!?!

I have had my kids in the ER 3 time in the last 4 years.

1- my first daughter was lethargic. turned out that an ear infection had stread into her blood stream and was making her sick. made me feel stupid that all it took was a bottle of amoxicillin to make it all better

2- a Concussion. my daughter fell on her head on the hard ground and then went Unconscious.

3- i locked my 8 month old in the car and the cops had to break the window to get her out. the paramedics were worried that she had breathed in glass, so i took  her in

Photobucket

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination

LOOK IT'S BOB
☻/ This is bob, copy paste him on
/▌ every update you see so he can
/ \ take over Facebook. You've been Bobbed

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shis_mama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:11 PM

My daughter has not been in the ER. Knock on wood, she is almost 3 and the only time she has been is when I went in for both of my miscarriages

momathome86
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I work on an ambulance and have worked in an ER so it takes a lot for me to bring them in. Usually I can just treat them myself but I did bring my son the first time his elbow came out of place. They showed me how to fix it and haven't been back since.

Pregnancy%20ticker

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:12 PM

When my oldest was younger, he would get sick and just keep throwing up.  Everything we tried to give him, he threw up.  He got close to being dehydrated and lethargic, so I took him in.  Then another time is when he fell and hit his head on an outward corner of a wall and needed stitches. 

My second also fell and hit his head on an outward wall and also needed stitches, but that's the only time he's been.

I take them for actual emergencies, not little stomach bugs or colds.

TinaN64
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:13 PM

1.  Oldest daughter seriously sprained her wrist and her doctor's office was closed.

2.  When youngest was 4, febrile seizure.

times 3-6... asthma attacks that we couldn't get under control (ineffective meds) .

7.  Ambulance ride for asthma attack that stopped her breathing.  Resulted in a Life Flite ride to a hospital better suited for pediatric pulmonology issues.

anetrnlov
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:14 PM

LOL, it would take a lot because I HATE going to the ER.

My daughter has episodes of syncope and when they happen we take her because they have yet to determine a cause.

Seizures

Broken bone or a questionable broken bone

Injury causing lots of blood loss

Respiratory distress that I can not take care of at home

Loss of consciousness

Post car accident

I had to take my now 4 year old in to have his eyes flushed because he got highlighter in his eyes

I took my oldest in as a baby for severe abominable pain that had no cause and was making him scream constantly and he wouldn't eat or drink

Anything that may require stitches that I can't close up at home with steri strips, butterflies or glue.

Basically the stuff that an ER is for.  lol

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I took my oldest to the ER when she was 2 weeks old. She had a high fever, and our ped told us not to bother with her office, just go straight to the ER.  

We found out she has vesicoureteral reflux and the infection had spread into her bloodstream. She was hospitalized for a week.

She was on a prophylactic, but anytime she spiked a fever I was told to take her to the ER. That was about 5 or so times before she was 8 months old. Mainly because she had to have a catheter to check her urine anytime she got sick.  

Now that she's older it can be dealt with in her Ped's office.

I don't think we've ever taken my youngest to the ER...

mamaslilpunkin
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM

i have never taken my dd to the Er for anything and she is 6.I would only go if she had labored breathing,running a fever over 104,had a seizure(then i would call 911 if that happened) uncontrollable bleeding,or if I think she broke a bone.Everything else,I can call my ped and she can see her the next or same day,she's good like that. 

ANandLPsMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:16 PM

We took our youngest DD in because her cousin had croup really bad and ended up hospitalized and Lily was showing the same symptoms. They are around each other almost daily so we were worried she got it too, and wanted to catch it before it got too bad, because she is 5 mths younger. She thankfully didn't get it.

I'm a breast & formula feeding, disposable diapering, CIO as a last optioning, babywearing & stroller pushing, selective vaxing, every baby deserves a chance, anti circing, doula loving, working out of home, crazy sock loving, dog & cat having, hair-covering, Allah fearing, hand-sewing, exotic name loving, spanking, time-outing, speak-before-you-think, cyst having, history-loving, online-schooling, you have your own opinions so let me have mine, reverted Muslim mommy of 2 gorgeous biracial girls with different fathers.

n03z07l08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM

My oldest (6) has never been to the ER. My middle has been there twice once when he fell off the couch,he got a bloody nose and they wanted to check it out. And once when he had pnuemonia.

My youngest has been there alot. once for being constipated (he was making a weird noise that sounded like he couldnt breathe and we panicked),once for falling down the steps,once for an ear infection and once for falling with something in his mouth and it going down his throat. He is a dare devil.  

Cecilydw
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I have only taken my youngest, and she has been twice.  First time was when she was 4 weeks old and she got RSV really bad, I wasn't sure what it was at the time but she wouldn't drink her formula and was coughing hard, so about 2 in the morning I took her in.  She stayed in the hospital for a week.  And then when she was about 18 months, she choked on a strawberry and she coughed it up and was still weezing and turning blue around the lips.  Turns out the strawberry went all the way down into her lung, and the fluid and seeds off of it caused her to get pnumonia, she had to stay in the hospital for a few days.  Luckly My oldest hasnt had to go (yet).  I never had to go when I was a kid. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)